Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot Connect to internet with new router

FIXED
Dominic_
Hooked

Cannot Connect to internet with new router

I want to improve the wifi signal throughout the house and have purchased a ASUS RT-AX55 router. I can use the app to set up the device and I think it sees the Plusnet hub but it cant see the internet. I have a Plusnet Hub 1 and fibre. Looking through the posts here I have found I need to connect via PPPoE and have changed my user name to include @plusdsl.net. But still no joy!
Any ideas?

12 REPLIES 12
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 401

Re: Cannot Connect to internet with new router

You will need to switch the AX55 to 'Access point mode' 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Dominic_
Hooked

Thanks MisterW. This has changed things! The router now says it is connected to the internet but I dont seem to be able to connect to it. No connection to the LAN. im having problems connecting to PPPoE as its asking for user and password. I have tried many but obviously not the correct one. 

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Your PN router is already doing the PPOE bit, so there is no need to enter it again.

In access mode it should have an option for a direct internet connection.

Post your settings, we can tell you if any others are wrong.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

im having problems connecting to PPPoE as its asking for user and password. I have tried many but obviously not the correct one

forget about PPPoE , the Hub 1 is handling that.

No connection to the LAN

I'm not sure I know exactly what you mean there 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Dominic_
Hooked

Thats great news about the PPPoE. I'll ignore that.

The LAN light is out on the ASUS router were the other are on (power, internet, 2.4 and 5ghz). When I try to connect (via mobile ) it fails due to problem authentication. I cannot get to the router set-up via htpp://router.asus.com. So it seems I can now connect to internet but I cant connect to a device (laptop, phone)

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

The LAN light is out on the ASUS router were the other are on

having looked at the manual, that's probably correct. In access point mode,

I cannot get to the router set-up via htpp://router.asus.com.

Again, that might not work in access point mode. Check the Hub 1 device list to see what IP has been allocated to the ax55 and use that instead to access the ax55 gui

Dominic_
Hooked

Hi Mustrum

Thanks for the response. As you've seen I've been following the advice on the thread but I still cannot connect. I have done a screen grab of the Asus modem as below. hopefully there's a clue there but whatever, I don't seem to have the ability (more likely I just cant find it) of how to make any amendments.

I am definitely a 'plug and play' sorta guy 🙂

Screenshot_20221231_114604_ASUS Router (002).jpgScreenshot_20221231_114710_ASUS Router (002).jpg

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Assuming the Hub 1 is still on its default settings,

Change the ax55  lan ip to 192.168.1.1

Then change to access point mode, connect via  a lan port to the Hub 1

You should then be able to access the ax55 vusing 192.168.1.1

Dominic_
Hooked

Everytime I change to access point mode I loose connection from phone / laptop to the Asus. I then have to reset / reboot the router and start again and then go around in circles.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Fix

You will unless it's connected to the Hub 1. In access point mode the dhcp server will be disabled , so it needs to be connected to the hub 1 to allow that to provide the dhcp server

Dominic_
Hooked

With my lack of technical gargon knowledge I didn't fully understand the point about connecting to the hub but.....I decided to move the physical cable of the router from the wan port on the PN Hub1 to one of the 4 Gig ethernet ports and voila!!!!!!

i have a working system and I hope, with better signal.

@MisterW @Mustrum  thank you both for your help and patience. It was a pleasure virtually meeting you both and your advice and guidance to a IT illiterate like me was top notch.

Happy New Year

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

@Dominic_   glad you got it sorted.

The WAN port is an input port, so on the PN Hub only used if you want to use a modem, or on Full Fibre to connect to the ONT.

So yes, your router needed to be connected to a LAN port on the Hub.