cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I change the Wan socket to a Lan socket?

Brigbeale

Can I change the Wan socket to a Lan socket?

I’ve just joined Plusnet after being with BT for four years. Plusnet was £8 cheaper per month for the same speed.

I received the Hub 2 router (white one with the round disc on the front) and today plugged it in putting all the RJ45 leads in the same places, (today, Plusnet started my services). The wireless tablets all connected ok. 
I checked my computer in the lounge and it wasn’t connected. The only thing that changed was the router. 
A quick check of the handbook showed the WAN port with a note saying do not use.
On my BT Smart Hub (1 not 2) there’s 4 ports numbered 1-4 with no mention of WAN so I presume them all to be LAN sockets.
On the Plusnet Hub 2, there’s 4 ports but the last one is marked WAN.

My household needs the 4 leads plugged in.

Is it possible to convert the WAN port to a LAN port?

4 REPLIES 4
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: Can I change the Wan socket to a Lan socket?

Is it possible to convert the WAN port to a LAN port?

@Brigbeale  no it's not I'm afraid.

If you need more than 3 ports you will need a switch , something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-LS1005G-Wallmount-Ethernet-Splitter/dp/B07VWB347G/ref=pd_lpo_2?pd_r... would do. Just make sure whatever you get has gigabit ports.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Or you could simply enter your PN username and password in the BT Hub and carry on using that - assuming you don't need to send it back?

Brigbeale

Funnily enough, I’ve just received a text message saying they will send me a returns bag to send the BT Hub back. 

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

I have one of these on my network and it's been pretty reliable.

It's USB powered too so you can connect it to the USB port on the Hub Two rather than having to plug into the mains.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵