Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bridge Mode

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 77

Re: Bridge Mode

@RRM 

What is the current IP address range of your local network?

I can advise the steps required based on the above

Dan.

RRM
Rising Star

Hi James & Dan.

thanks for the response. 

DHCP, DNS etc are all turned off on the PN router. Everything is on the TP-Link ER605. 

So basically, I have PN router in Bridge mode (no services), 4G / 5G router both connected to WAN ports on the ER-605. The ER605 does the authentication for the PN connection (PPoE) and establishes the connection, obtains IP address etc. The 4G router, is connected via NAT (192.168.2.1/24). The TP-Link ER-605 then connects to my network switch, all wired and wireless devices via numerous access points around the house.

So all devices are on the internal 192.168.1.1/24 subnet. 

All works well, but I just cannot get back to the PN router interface. - tried the external IP address the TP-Link ER-605 shows that it gets from PN, but that just takes me to the TP-Link ER-605 logon page.

R

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 405

@RRM 

Anyone know how you get to the router once you enable bridge mode?

It will still respond on its ip address ( default 192.168.1.254 ) to a connection on one of its LAN ports. However its DHCP server is disabled, so any connection must have a static IP in the same subnet ( 192.168.1.x ). In effect this normally means you have to connect a device physically to a LAN port and set it with a static IP and you will not normally be able to access it from your local network connected to the router.

Some routers have the ability to add a secondary address ( WAN IP alias ) to their WAN configuration which MAY make it possible to access the modem from the network. I have an ER605 used on my FTTP connection and it does seem to have a 'secondary connection' option on its WAN configuration page but I cant find any details of its purpose.

If you want to experiment, you must first ensure that the LAN subnet of the ER605 is different to the Hub2's default of 192.168.1.x , either by changing the ER605 or the Hub 2. Then try configuring a secondary connection on the ER605 primary WAN, with a static IP in the Hub 2 subnet and mask of 255.255.255.0. Then try accessing the HUb 2, using its IP address, from the local ER605 LAN network.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 21

Your Hub2 will still be accessible on 192.168.1.254 (unless you've changed it on the Hub2), though your ER605 might not allow you to get to that address on the WAN port.  I had something like this on a set up a number of years ago (though not a Hub2 in bridge).  I think I had 2 ways around it.  First was to plug a device into one of the LAN ports on the bridged device and manually assign it an IP address in the same subnet.  The second was to change the IP address of the bridged device to one that the router would route to on the WAN.

Edit: @MisterW types faster than me, and looks to have explained the same much better! 😀

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

RRM
Rising Star

Thanks everyone,

When I remove the 4G connection and go back to the PN router only, I will try the suggestions mentioned. I didn't want to reset the hub and lose all my previous settings (mainly DHCP reservations) which I did not back up!

R

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 77

@RRM 

When I used the Hub Two in bridge mode I set my LAN to 192.168.10.0/24 network. With a USB network adapter connected to a PC I manually set the USB device to 192.168.1.0/24 address with no dns or gateway address and connected to one of the LAN ports

Advanced Settings >Technical Log Information and Event Log is all you will need to view, everything else is turned off

There is no NTP so the Date/Time will be wrong.

HTH