cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boiler connection problem

Minusanynet
Hooked

Boiler connection problem

I have an issue with the connection between my roomstat and my central heating boiler which drops connection during the night (and sometimes during the day) and wake up to a cold house. The problem started soon after installation of my full fibre broadband. If I turn off my router at bedtime, all is fine and the house is nice and cosy in the morning. I have contacted the boiler manufacturer and they say that I cannot change the frequency of the boiler receiver. Any help much appreciated.
4 REPLIES 4
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 411

Re: Boiler connection problem

@Minusanynet Central heating stats usually use Zigbee for communication. In theory this SHOULD be able to coexist with 2.4ghz wifi although it does use the same environment. See here for a good explanation https://www.metageek.com/training/resources/zigbee-wifi-coexistence/

Have you changed routers with the full fibre installation ? It's possible that the new router has selected a different wifi channel which is now interfering with the zigbee network. If you can find what the old router was set to , then change the new router to use that channel. Otherwise, if the new router is using ch 11 , then try channels 1 or 6

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Minusanynet
Hooked

Thanks @MisterW I did change routers when I switched to full fibre and that’s when the trouble started. I have no idea what channel my old router used and that has been returned to Plusnet. If I try switching to different channels will that channel remain fixed, or can the router roam channels? Thank you.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 411

If I try switching to different channels will that channel remain fixed, or can the router roam channels? Thank you. 

The channel can either be set to 'Automatic' , in which case the router selects what it thinks is the best channel , or to a specific channel in which case it will remain on that channel.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Minusanynet
Hooked

Thank you, I have changed the 2.4Ghz wi-fi from smart 1 to channel 6. I’ll have to see how it goes. Appreciate your help.

MickyC