Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Router

Mayfly
All Star
Fixes: 1

Best Router

I know this has been asked a 1000 times but nothing came up on a search. I currently have BT modem and the PN Sagemcom 2740N router.

I bought a PLA because the router is the other side of the house and the signal goes through 2 internal brick walls and 1 outside wall to the extension we had built but to be honest the wifi connection to the router omitting the PLA is just a fast.

My package is 50/10 and I get the 50 when hard wired. Normally the speed for the wifi is iro 27 - 30mbps and has been stable for 2yrs but recent speed test results are frequently around 1.5 - 4, so I'm thinking of trying a new (all in one) router and wonder what is recommended these days, especially looking for good wifi and would like be able to use Think Broadband quality meter.

Any help appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Re: Best Router

@Mayfly wrote:
I'm thinking of trying a new (all in one) router

For the £6.99 P&P it may be worth trying out the Hub One, if you then decide to go with a third party router, it would still be there as a back up device Wink

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

A good resource for all-in-one devices is http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,14436.0.html but with 3 brick walls to get signals through, there may not be an easy or cheap answer.

You may need to research WiFi mesh systems which aren't cheap but at least spread the signal around.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 11

Various routers make claims about WiFi performance and I can't comment on a "best" but I can observe that a second WiFi access point connected to your router (by a cable) may help and the dual band (2.4 & 5 GHz equipment seem to be faster when used on 5GHz).

I am the satisfied customer....
Mayfly
All Star
Fixes: 1

Thanks for your replies. I have been through many options such as a long ethernet cable but it would need to go around the outside of the house ideally. Have BT move my master socket to the front of the house -hmmm don't really fancy that. Hadn't heard of the wifi mesh system so called in to PC World for a look, if I knew they would work no problem but they are expensive if they don't. 

The cheapest is what Harry B suggested for £6.99 not a problem if it doesn't make much of a difference. If I bought the hub one that could I use the Sagemcom as an extender?

Thanks all for your suggestions.

rolya
Grafter