Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Smart Hub 1 to Plusnet Hub 2 (Help)

FIXED
Cardiff_Rob
Hooked

BT Smart Hub 1 to Plusnet Hub 2 (Help)

This is probably a stupid question but go easy on me.

I have Plusnet broadband and have been using a BT Smart Hub 1 for a few years now.

I have just received a Plusnet Hub 2 router which I may as well use as it's essentially a re-brand of the BT Smart Hub 2.

Is it a case of simply unplugging by BT Smart Hub 1 and plugging in the Plusnet Hub 2 or is it more complicated than that?

Thanks in advance for your help

7 REPLIES 7
Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

Re: BT Smart Hub 1 to Plusnet Hub 2 (Help)

@Cardiff_Rob 

Yes you can just swap them and it will work.

However be aware that whilst the Hub 2 wireless performance is better you can’t split the bands. Also the wireless SSID and password will be different. You have two choices here: 
1. Go into each connected device’s available wireless networks settings and select the new SSID and enter the new password.

2. Go into the new Hub Two Advanced Settings/Wireless page and change the wireless SSID and password to the same as the Hub One. Don’t forget to save the settings.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Cardiff_Rob
Hooked

I'm not fussed about splitting the bands and I'm not even sure what an SSID is.

So it isn't just plug and play? I will have to try and find the wireless SSID and password from the BT Hub One and add that to the Plusnet Hub Two to make Wi-Fi work?

Again, thanks in advance

There are too many devices in the house to bother with your option 1.

Baldrick1

@Cardiff_Rob 

All hubs have different wireless SSIDs and passwords. The SSID is the code transmitted by the hub that is presented to your connected devices. If what you call a Smart Hub 1 is an original BT Smarthub, the Wireless name (SSID) and password will be found on a pull out tab on the side of the hub, or if the tab is missing on a label fixed underneath where the tab should be located.

Moderator and Customer

Cardiff_Rob
Hooked

Amazing - your help is much appreciated (and the Smart Hub I have at the moment is BT branded)

Final question I promise - how do I then change the SSID & password in the new Plusnet Hub 2 router?

...and thanks again for your help..!! 

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

@Cardiff_Rob 

The SSID is simply the Network name. If you use your phone or laptop and do a scan for networks you'll probably find your own one plus several of your neighbours.

Look for Wireless settings in the router management pages.

Brian

Baldrick1

Fix

@Cardiff_Rob 

1. Connect the Hub Two on its own to a computer using an Ethernet cable. Switch off the Smarthub first to make sure that the computer doesn't get confused by having two connections, even if one is wireless.

2. Log in to the Hub by opening a web browser and typing: 192.168.1.254 in to the address field That's at the top of the page (not the search box if you have a separate on).

3. Select Advanced settings.

4. Select Wireless. You will be asked for the Hub password, This is tyhe Admin password on the pull out tab on the back NOT the wireless password.

5. Change the Network Name (SSID) to match the Smarthub's

6. Change the Security Password to match the Smarthub's.

7. Select Save at the top of this page.

Swap them over and everything should work.

Moderator and Customer

3nhu1

I just registered to say this (renaming SSID and security password to previous) works. It was a massive help as I have quite a few yeelight smart lights at 2Ghz and was dreading the switch but all reconnected without issue. alot of time saved, thanks!