cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Openreach Router with Plusnet

hedgehogfanclub

BT Openreach Router with Plusnet

I've switched out my Plusnet router for a BT Openreach modem (DSL HG612) to combat poor stability and speed of connection.

It's connected to a TP-Link router using an ethernet cable from the LAN1 socket.

At the moment speed has dropped to around 12-13Mbps (PPOe), this is a drop from around 70ish, but so far it seems to be a lot more stable and consistent.

Will the speed recover? Is PPOe the wrong approach?

And is there a way to access the modem to alter its settings? (Conventional addresses such as 192.168.1.254 or 192.168.1.1 come up with nothing).

Thanks for any assistance!

4 REPLIES 4
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: BT Openreach Router with Plusnet

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from  Fibre to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@hedgehogfanclub  Welcome to the forum 

First of all have you received a Plusnet hub? If so then plug that in to see what speed you can get with that. This will determine whether you have a network fault or whether it is your modem/router causing the problem. 
Logging in to your hub uses the same IP address as you used before, it is unconnected with your choice of ISP. The router settings are here. https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/broadband-connection-settings/

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

hedgehogfanclub

Thanks @Baldrick1 I have checked the speed with the Plusnet router and I get around 70-72 (and I also periodically get 4/5 or suddenly 12, etc, then it will bounce back up. This happened both on my old Plusnet router and on a new one — having just moved house, I realised this was likely a problem with the one common element between the two houses - the router - there are only two of us in the house and not going crazy with downloads and uploads, etc). Streaming services and Facetime calls also drop / stall.

After a bit of desperation I've forked out for an HG612 (we're connected via cable not fibre, so this might be a mistake!), but the only way to get it to connect seems to be via our only spare router which is a TP-Link and me putting in the Plusnet username and password into PPoE settings. Is the old router the culprit for the reduction in speed?

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @hedgehogfanclub,

I'm sorry to hear you've experienced these issues. If the new, 3rd party router has improved the speeds then it's possible the old router was faulty, though it would be hard to say that with certainty based on the info provided. It's possible that the loss of speed was due to wireless signal strength issues and I'd recommend connecting via Ethernet cable wherever possible if you start to notice any return in low speeds. I hope the new router continues to perform well and if there are any issues, please just give us a shout and we'll be happy to help.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team