cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Openreach Modem vs Plusnet Smart Hub One / Two

mushroom_daddy
Dabbler

BT Openreach Modem vs Plusnet Smart Hub One / Two

Since moving to Plusnet (from BT) in 2018 I've retained my old Openreach HG612 modem with other miscellaneous routers,  currently on a mesh WiFi set up, which is working very well.  About to renew my Unlimited Fibre Extra contract, I'm now being offered the Hub Two router (for the P&P £6.99 fee). I do still have my boxed & unused Hub One router from when I first joined.

Reliable as it has been, I'm increasingly aware that the Openreach modem is now approaching 10 years old, and I'm beginning to wonder what next – when & if it might fail. I did have a HG612  failure/replacement after just a few years with BT WiFi.
It's my understanding that the Plusnet Smart Hubs can be used in bridging, modem only mode, and I now wonder whether there is any technical advantage in changing the HG612 for the Hub One, or indeed taking up the offer of a Hub Two.

3 REPLIES 3
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 437

Re: BT Openreach Modem vs Plusnet Smart Hub One / Two

It's my understanding that the Plusnet Smart Hubs can be used in bridging, modem only mode, and I now wonder whether there is any technical advantage in changing the HG612 for the Hub One, or indeed taking up the offer of a Hub Two.

Close , but not quite! . The Hub 2 CAN be switched to bridge ( modem ) mode but the Hub 1 CANT.

Reliable as it has been, I'm increasingly aware that the Openreach modem is now approaching 10 years old, and I'm beginning to wonder what next – when & if it might fail. I did have a HG612  failure/replacement after just a few years with BT WiFi.

Given the above, I would suggest you take up the Hub 2 offer and should the HG612 give any problems, you will have a replacement modem.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

TeeGee
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 1

Try both and see if there are any differences in either wifi power or sync speed.

I am a bit of a Luddite and my HH6 still ticks all the boxes!

Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

From what I have read on these forums previously, I get the impression that if you don't take up the offer of the Hub2 for just the P&P cost at the time of re-contracting, the option is lost, even if your existing modem/router later fails whilst in contract?