cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Home Hub 6 (Smart Hub) on PlusNet

thestagman

Re: BT Home Hub 6 (Smart Hub) on PlusNet

I think I have reached the point of total exasperation

I am one of the lucky people to have fttp and to take full advantage of this have bought a bt smart hub 6. All well and good I thought as have used hubs 3,4,and 5 all to some success.  on hub 6 there is no dedicated Wan port. Though rolling through the Web it suggests connecting to port 1 WRONG

BT have produced two versions of the hub the one for FTTP has a red sticker over port 4 (WAN) Trying to get hold of one of these has proved impossible BT have locked this down so tight you cannot purchase one without an engineers Visit!,,

I was going to buy one From DABS however BT have now bought them and everything goes through them.

Who says BT is not a Monopoly

fletpablo
Grafter

hi KelvinGB1 can you tell me  concerning BT hub 6 on a Fibre network you said there was 2 Vewrsions and something about one with a Red Sticker if i was to purchase one from BT as i have phone line with them and fibre  with Plus net i have mention this , you mentioned the set up  you have to change to Plusnet password 

thestagman

Hi I have become totally exasperated with the home hub 6 with bt being so devious in not advising everyone that the http router is not the same as the httc
I have now replaced with Afoundry router and thank heavens I was forced into this as it is brilliant.
Now get full signal all over the house and down the garden as well. Bought mine from Amazon and sent the rubbish home hub 6,back
thegrouch

EDIT: In talks with a colleague of mine it looks like you enter the username and password that you use to login to the Member Centre.  I'll try this ASAP and confirm.

---

Initially you stated it should be the member password, then you state it's not actually the member password and another user on the thread suggests it came in the initial letter from PNet.

However, I have tried all three (the letter doesn't have a password, just the unique username) and nothing has worked yet.

Now admittedly the service is going live today / tomorrow so it's probably their end, but wanted clarification of the broadband connection settings for PNet beforehand.

Could someone confirm whether or not you need to enter a broadband password (unlike BT) or not?

Many thanks in advance,

Sam

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

To Clarify then

There are two Types of  BT Smart Hub

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10477/~/user-guides-for-bt-broadband-and-bt-infinity-...

One BT Smart Hub  for FTTC ( Fibre to Cabinet)   with four  Yellow Gigabit ports.  The Other  BT Smart Hub  FTTP (Fibre to Premises)  with the FTTP connects to the ONT via port 4 

Updated firmware gets automatically done over night even when not on BT Infinity .

after accessing the Hub by  http://192.168.1.254, and going to  the Advanced Settings Box then select  Broadband/Internet/ VPS/ Dynamic DNS box)  You have to use the Disconnect button at the top of the browser page  after which the 2 boxes appear. Change the logon & password  to that of your plusnet one.   and select the  "Connect" button & this saves the changes.

rmw71

Yep, I can concur - the BT Smart Hub works with plusnet fibre!

Having read this thread (thank you KelvinGB1), I purchased a Smart Hub from ebay - technically secondhand although boxed and sealed, in the hope of replacing my plusnet router (sagemcom 2704N) and openreach box combo. Working perfectly but is it any better?.. I think so, some initial speed/range tests around the house appear to show some improvement. For around £40 I'd like to think I've future-proofed my home network for a couple of years.

I pretty much followed the process as already described, here's my guide;

Remove all existing router hardware/wires (carefully, you might still need it all!). Plug the new supplied cable from the DSL 'double' wall box to the Smart Hub broadband input. Then, an ethernet cable from the Smart Hub (any yellow output 1 to 4) to your PC/laptop, then power up. Type 192.168.1.254/ into your browser, you should get the BT Smart Hub Manager. As mentioned in the thread, you may need to reset the box but if new simply click on the Smart Setup icon/tab and disable to start with. Then choose Advanced Settings>Broadband. Enter your plusnet username (format 'yourusername'@plusdsl.net) and normal plusnet log in password. Press connect, give it a short while and it should connect - job done. You can then set up Wifi etc. as usual.

Hope that helps.   

Peterworks
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Thanks for all the great help - I purchased one from Ebay and all working perfectly.

One question though - as it was second hand I assume the previous owner had signed up to Fon and so the hub is now available for people signed up to Fon to use (ie, in status it shows 'BT WiFi Status: Active'). I want to turn this off but can find no easy way. Apparently you have to opt out on a BT web site using the BT credentials. As I don't have these I am stuck.

(Did read that a factory reset will turn it off but I reset it as soon as I received it...)

Any insight would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro

Are you sure that the smart hub completely  reset its self correctly.

Did you de select the smart set up.

Contact BT fon via  BT Wifi and see if they can help via  https://www.btwifi.co.uk/contact/

Recontact your ebay seller as product obviously had been used.

Mine was sold as new and does show BT wifi as not active.

Try and reflash the firmware somehow.

Can not think of any more options. Sorry to read that you are having problems with the item you bought.

Peterworks
Rising Star

Thanks LifeonMars - will go through your suggestions...

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro

Be interesting to know the final outcome.

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Not saying it will, but the BTWiFi-with-fon might vanish anywhere from 24-48 hours from switch on.

That's how long it should take when a BT customer opts out.

Did you press and hold the reset button until the light(s) go out, then release? If not, this could be why it's active.

Peterworks
Rising Star

Thanks DS and LifeonMars - success !

I held the reset button until the lights changed which is where I went wrong the first time. I then turned off Smart Setup, did a restore and BT WiFi Status is now 'Not active'.

As an aside the restore did not restore my static IP addresses although it kept the DHCP range I had set. No real problem but may be of interest to other posters.

Thanks again...

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro

That's good news for you, great to hear. The smart hub is so much smarter looking when in open display then the Plusnet hub
DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Good to hear you've sorted it out.

I must admit, I've not got my grubby mitts on one yet, though I might do at some point in the future. But knowing me, Plusnet with have the Hub Two out by then!!

Peterworks
Rising Star

Must say I am very pleased with it. I had a TP-Link before plus, of course, the BT modem. Looks much nicer with the one box and, yes, it does look good. Even herself is pleased with it and the setup, ie, just one box and only 3 wires (1 goes to a TP-Link powerline).

I managed to get it for 40 pounds on Ebay (it had been used for a week but looks brand new). Took about a week of bidding as they are very popular and seem to go for the mid 40 pounds mark so doubly pleased !