Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BEST replacement modem/router

markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 12

Re: BEST replacement modem/router

@Baldrick1 

On a "features for pounds basis" your case for the second hand (but possibly as new) BT Business Hub 6 is very strong.

I've never tried it, but as far as I know the DrayTek Vigor 130 can either be a router (delivering a usable Internet connection to a switch or a directly connected device) or just a modem (with the account settings held in another device). 

This is an unusual feature which may or may not be useful in the original circumstances.

I am the satisfied customer....
royleestoves
Grafter

Thanks Mark. I'm going to buy one today.. just trying to  figure out what the difference between home and business is as they look and sound the same. Is one FTTP and other C? Can anyone advise? I'll try figuring it out in the time being.

Thanks again to the forum. Excited!

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

There are fttp/ fttc variants, but the main difference is in the firmware where you can switch on respond to ping and set custom dns servers
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
royleestoves
Grafter

Sorry, I did read that 😕 ok so business version it  is.. thanks dvorak.

corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

If you do go down the 24 port switch route, take a look at the Ubiquiti range. After using them for a year or two I now only consider Ubiquiti switches and access points, although they don't do ADSL/VDSL/4G modems, so I use Draytek for ADSL and MikroTik for 4G. The Ubiquiti kit is absolutely rock solid, never needs power cycling, never drops a WiFi connection etc, and is nicely configurable.

royleestoves
Grafter

Thanks for the advice. I had seen them'c just never used them before. I'm trying to replace an extreme as it's too loud for home, so will only buy a fanless model. Will look them up and check to see if they can do a job.

Thanks
Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

@royleestoves wrote:

Sorry, I did read that 😕 ok so business version it  is.. thanks dvorak.

The FTTC models have four yellow LAN sockets. Avoid the FTTP version, which has a red WAN sticker fixed to one of the LAN sockets.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

royleestoves
Grafter

Thanks Baldrick.. I believe the difference being you have one of the ethernet ports as a dedicated WAN port for direct fibre connection however they both still work for VDSL.. As both still have rj11 connectivity.
Baldrick1

I have asked the question whether the FTTP version still has an operational modem and not got a clear answer.

The FTTP version was probably a firmware bodge until the Smarthub 2 was released and I've a horrible thought that the modem is non operational.  I would love to get my hands on one to try but so far have failed to find one cheap enough just to play.

Moderator and Customer

royleestoves
Grafter

Surely it could be enabled? Might be like you say firmware versions
Baldrick1

You are quite right, it's only the firmware. I'm pretty certain it's only firmware that turns the FTTC model into the FTTP version. I confess that I have never investigated custom firmware for these devices or indeed if the feature is already built in. My assumption that it's not is based on my having an Asus modem/router that had this feature added in a firmware update and it needed a GUI change to enable the two options to be selected. BT try to make their devices as idiot proof as possible so can see why they would not include such settings.

If you get one to try please let us know how you get on.

Moderator and Customer

royleestoves
Grafter

I'm going to buy fttc, for sure 😆. Thanks for the input.

R