cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Avaya 9608 phone to Work from home hanging on discover IP address (phone server)

FIXED
ekimrob
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Avaya 9608 phone to Work from home hanging on discover IP address (phone server)

Hi,

I am trying to set up for a new job working from home and the supplied IP phone hangs when trying to "Discover <IP address> "

There doesn't seem to be any option to configure or open ports on my router (if that is the issue) - , so I am stuck  on how to progress. I have a Plusnet Hub One router. 

I have configured the Ipv4 address - I believe that this is correctly set as anything else comes up with a  resolve error.

Any help appreciated please (I wonder if there is anybody who can help)... I have tried the plusnet support phoneline and the 2 call engineers I spoke to were very polite but had no experience or training on setting up an IP phone - they advised me to try the forum or another engineer.

I know that this phone has worked for others in the organisation I work for but they are not on plusnet , so I am left hoping i can carry on using plusnet with help on a  fix, and not having to look for a new provider ..

9 REPLIES 9
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Avaya 9608 phone to Work from home hanging on discover IP address (phone server)

@ekimrob 

Are you setting a static IP address in the phone settings? If so is it in the range 192.168.1.2-63 and not used by any other device?

Alternatively are you trying to get the phone to pick one up automatically from your hub using DHCP?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Avaya 9608 phone to Work from home hanging on discover IP address (phone server)

@ekimrob 

Double posting just causes confusion and wastes the time of those trying to help.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Moderators Note

Posts merged from other topic and duplicate removed.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

If you have a hub one there are options for port forwarding, but as @Baldrick1 ones you'd need to let the phone use DHCP and not set the ip address in the phone.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
ekimrob
Grafter

@Baldrick1 @dvorak 

Many thanks for the quick responses. Firstly my apologies for duplicating the post. I didnt see the router forum initially - then realised that would be the best place. But thanks for the merging and tidy up.

On the Avaya phone . I have gone into settings and put in the ADDR options an IPv4 address? Was this the correct place to do this IP setting?

It was in the range that you mentioned, but when i went onto the router page  to look for the device, it seemed to have assigned its own anyway ending in .101 (so i tried with that IP address in the ADDR fielsd) but still it hangs on the "Discover IP address of phone server".

Thanks again for any help or ideas.

Mike

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Fix

On the Avaya phone . I have gone into settings and put in the ADDR options an IPv4 address? Was this the correct place to do this IP setting?

If you set a static IP on the phone, you will also need to set subnet (255.255.255.0), default gateway(192.168.1.254)  and dns server(192.168.1.254). As @Baldrick1  said above, much better to set the phone to get its IP via DHCP, in which case it will get all the other settings automatically

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ekimrob
Grafter

@Baldrick1 @MisterW @dvorak 

Dear All, Many thanks for each of your replies , each in turn helped me to progress and rethink my steps ,, I have now set it up with a  static IP and the settings from my IPconfig - which MisterW also confirmed..

Thank you each very much.

Mike  

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

... and does it work now ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ekimrob
Grafter

Hi

Sorry if I did not say that ....

Yes... working now...

I will mark as fixed...

Mike