Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Annex A or B

Madhatter007
Grafter

Annex A or B

Hi,

My FRITZbox has option for Annex A or B which one do I need to select for Plusnet?
16 REPLIES 16
RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Re: Annex A or B

Hi @Madhatter07
The last two posts on:
https://community.plus.net/t5/ADSL-Broadband/FTTC-annex-A-or-B/td-p/1104890
Come from very knowlegable people on the Kitz forum and indicate Annex B should be used.
Regards
Richard
starfry
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

For VDSL (fibre) it is Annex B. For ADSL it is Annex A.

I have in my configuration (different device running OpenWRT):

config dsl 'dsl'
        option xfer_mode 'ptm'
        option annex 'b'
        option tone 'a'

config interface 'wan'
        option proto 'pppoe'
        option ifname 'ptm0.101'
        option username '.....'
        option password '.....'

config device 'wan_dev'
        option name 'ptm0'

Just in case you need any other values, the above may be of help to you.

Edinburgh_wg
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

You should choose Annex A.

Annex B is an option for ADSL/VDSL to be used in Germany and Poland (ISDN).

Nothing to do with VDSL Annex B (profile) in the UK, I'm afraid, as some people on here wrongly think it is because they see 'Annex B' next to VDSL2 descriptions.

starfry
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

@Edinburgh_wg wrote:

You should choose Annex A.

Annex B is an option for ADSL/VDSL to be used in Germany and Poland (ISDN).

Nothing to do with VDSL Annex B (profile) in the UK, I'm afraid, as some people on here wrongly think it is because they see 'Annex B' next to VDSL2 descriptions.

Could you provide more clarity on your answer please, perhaps linking to some documentation? I have been running with the settings that I posted for over two years without issue, and many openwrt users posting in this community also use the same values. Perhaps it's a naming disparity of openwrt, I don't know, but Annex B is what works for me (yes, on PlusNet in the UK).

I did some quick searching and can see the term "Annex" applied to two things so perhaps there is some cross-talk occurring.

Edinburgh_wg
Rising Star

Plenty information, for example on Wikipedia, and so you should make an effort to educate yourself. 

Annex B with reference to profiles: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VDSL

Or in relation to hardware in modems: https://www.draytek.com/support/knowledge-base/5002

I'm also talking from experience: Annex A modems (not dual) won't work on Annex B lines in Germany or Poland, and vice versa. Even if you upload the other firmware type.

Fritz is a German company: https://en.avm.de/service/knowledgebase/dok/FRITZ-Box-7590/37_Supported-DSL-lines/

If you're looking at DSL standard in the UK (ADSL/FTTC), it's Annex A (POTS).

I don't know much about OpenWrt, but since it's custom firmware that can be uploaded to different supported devices, there should be an option to change types of annex. So, effectively, you're still running an Annex A modem (hardware), so choosing Annex B in OpenWrt won't have an effect. Fritz is different - from the description, it looks like it's a universal modem that can work on both Annex A and Annex B lines. But, for the lines in the UK (DSL), you should always buy Annex A hardware-based modems, as simply Annex B won't work. 

Overall, therefore, my Draytek router is Annex A, and so is your modem, even if you're on FTTC. 

Hope the above clarifies everything. 

Madhatter007
Grafter

It's a ex ZEN modem and been using for a couple of days and not had any issues other than the WiFi ones I was experiencing before but actually worse. - SSID disappears.
Edinburgh_wg
Rising Star

WiFi is a separate issue. If you have a sync with the exchange, then you should look into WiFi separately. 

The problem with using a modem/router from another provider is that firmware could have been customised and you won't change some settings. 

Madhatter007
Grafter

Luckily no customisation and it did online SW update.

WiFi moved cordless etc further apart.

Just wanted to make sure right Annex and not introduced another variable into the issue.
Edinburgh_wg
Rising Star

This *very knowledgeable* in relation to Kitz forum gurus etc should now be read *not so knowledgeable*, I'm afraid.
Madhatter007
Grafter

Hopefully can help others in the future.

In the end called Zen, With so much conflicting advice and spoke to CS and they advised it's Annex A.

Sadly PN were gormless and could not help
Edinburgh_wg
Rising Star

But I provided you with information that was accurate - it's Annex A.

You should have phoned Zen in the first place then, rather than bother people on this forum, especially that you didn't even bother thanking any contributors on here.

In the future, also be mindful that there are differences between providers and the settings (a good example is plusnet Vs Talk talk). Therefore, using another provider's settings (Zen's) can potentially lead to confusion and problems.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to My Router 

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Madhatter007
Grafter

This is the reply from AVM, apparantly makes no difference.
"If you have to select, I would always recommend to select Annex A in the UK (as Annex B was used in the UK with ISDN landlines only).
When using VDSL, the Annex type does not matter anyway (only with ADSL profiles the Annex type matters)."
Edinburgh_wg
Rising Star

That's a very interesting response from AVM: if it doesn't matter, why are they recommending that you still use Annex A?