cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice re what modem to complement an Archer C5400X router

Wendyg62

Advice re what modem to complement an Archer C5400X router

As above, we have a fairly new Archer c5400x router attached to an old TP Link modem - need to find an adequate replacement modem which makes the best of it.

Recently we, after years of unresolved 'issues', had repairs done to our copper telephone line (breakage up one of the poles in the field) which improved our internet speed from about 6 up to around 11 now.   However, the engineer was fairly sure there may be further wiring faults within this old house as our net does still drop randomly.  However, first we have to test everything out before I can call them back in.  I intend replacing the ethernet cabling to a couple of computers (both PC and Mac) but also figured it would be wise to replace the wee modem as it's survived a few thunderstorms in recent years.

It would seem to be particularly tricky to find the right modem nowadays given that the rest of the world has moved on to fibre and we can't get it out here in the sticks yet (hopefully in a couple of years they say). 

Any recommendations of models to look at would be gratefully received. 

7 REPLIES 7
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Advice re what modem to complement an Archer C5400X router

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to My Router.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Wendyg62 wrote:

It would seem to be particularly tricky to find the right modem nowadays given that the rest of the world has moved on to fibre

However that does mean that it is easier to get second-hand but "like new" devices on eBay for very little money.

For the least effort and maximum capability modem I'd recommend the DrayTek Vigor 130 which second-hand sometimes sell for less than £35 on eBay.

For a low cost (second-hand), and great performance, I'd suggest either the Billion BiPAC 8800NL   or  Billion BiPAC 8800NL-R2  modem/routers (often less than £15 on eBay), and with a little effort using the web interface, disable the WiFi and routing features, then configure the modem to work in full bridge mode.  These make fantastic ADSL2+ modems for use with an external router like yours.

I have used all of these models for both ADSL2+ and FTTC, and they are still manufacturer supported with occasional firmware updates.

For me when on ADSL2+ the Billion models were slightly faster sync speeds than the DrayTek, but the DrayTek supports Mini-Jumbo-Frames (i.e. MTU=1500) that the Billion's didn't last time I checked - if that is important to you (probably not).

Wendyg62

We used to have a Draytek, a lot of years ago, it was great but was killed in a powersurge.  I did look for one again but it would seem they have something of a waiting list, presumably logistical reasons.  I think it was the 166 we looked at though... can't remember why we decided the 130 wouldn't be ideal for our set up. 

I have fiddled about with bridging and port numbers and stuff in the past so am not worried by tackling it again. 

Mini Jumbo Frames are a new one to me but if it's anything to do with gaming and frame speeds then my son and husband probably would appreciate.   They play the games, they leave me to fix or upgrade the hardware. 

I will study the suggestions you have given re the Billion models and see what's about at the moment.  Thank you!

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@Wendyg62 

Have you looked for an old OpenReach modem (HG412 I think). People seem to swear by them.

Before spending money have you tried running the Broadband troubleshooting tests on the PlusNet Help pages to see ifthat throws up anything.

You can see what speeds are expected for you house at

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Brian

Wendyg62

@bmc  We know we are supposed to be limited to max download of 16mbps but in August the engineer managed a 21 after he'd sorted the pole out.  It was a sunny day with no wind and he'd possibly sacrificed a goat.  The weather impacts our speed and stability but nobody is quite sure why although we have plenty of theories.   He did comment that we had original Bell Telephone wiring coming through the wall of the house... he chose not to mess with that. 

He seemed to have mostly sorted the line between the local exchange and our place but his wee machine kept picking up mystery mini drop-outs inside the house which he thought would be internal wiring related but wasn't sure.  I did disconnect the whole current router set up and moved back to the still functional Apple Airport system we had prior to the Archer (My son has a PC and I use the Mac stuff).  It still showed minor issues whilst he was here.  However, that also used the TP Link modem which is why I want to swap that out for something else just to rule it out as a potential problem. 

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@Wendyg62 

I assume you've checked that FTTP isn't anywhere on the horizon.

When I looked a while ago there were several Huawei EchoLife HG612 modems on sale at eBay. Those that have been unlocked allow for reports to be run via the modem.

Brian

Wendyg62

@bmc  Fibre will be 2023 at the earliest I think but I'm not holding my breath on that one!   Will look into your modem suggestions this evening though, thank you!