cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS router RT-AX55 settings - trying to improve Plusnet broadband WI-FI

Annriv20

ASUS router RT-AX55 settings - trying to improve Plusnet broadband WI-FI

Hi!  Pls could I have some help and advice?
Trying to improve my Plusnet broadband and WI-FI  - I bought the ASUS RT-AX55 AX 1800 dual band router, but I am unsure of the settings to put in, pls could someone help, if possible send a picture of their router settings, and any advice? The info. on the Plusnet website is too generic for me…
I have Plusnet unlimited fibre extra, up to 66mb download speed (full fibre is not available in my road).  In reality that speed keeps on dropping, and, though it’s a small terraced house, WI-FI upstairs is very poor (there’s actually stronger signal coming from both my side neighbours equivalent BT Wi-FI package than my Plusnet!). And as I work from home I do need reliable broadband, WI-FI as well as Bluetooth.
I still have the original Plusnet Technicolor router (and a BT Openreach modem) - both 9 years old.  I asked Plusnet a few times for their Hub / Hub2 router but they ran some diagnostic (once) and just told me that broadband and router were working (though the speed keeps dropping!) and to try the different WI-FI channels (which I tried, 1, 6 and 11, made no difference)
I am currently out of contract (and so I also pay more) but if steadiness and WI-FI don’t greatly improve even with this ASUS router I don’t intend to stay and renew with Plusnet.

6 REPLIES 6
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 274

Re: ASUS router RT-AX55 settings - trying to improve Plusnet broadband WI-FI

What actual information are you looking for ?  All you need to enter is your PN username, in the format 'myusername@plusdsl.net' and your account password.

John
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@Annriv20  Just checking that you realise you will still need to use the Openreach modem as the Asus is purely a router with no modem hardware in it. But as @jab1 says it's just the username and password required to get connected. As for other settings such the wi-fi I can't offer any advice.

Annriv20

Many thanks, from the screenshot of the router settings page I saw it looked complicated.  I will have a go! I am aware that I need to keep the BT openreach modem, will plug the ASUS in the same place where the Plusnet old router currently is

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 87

@Annriv20

Link to the RT-AX55 manual. Look at section 2

In the setup you need to select PPPoE and enter your broadband username and password.

HTH

Annriv20

@Dan_the_Van thanks! A job for the weekend I think as I am using it during the week to work from home

markhawkin
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 14

@Annriv20 

You have the RT-AX55 now (which should be good for WiFi).

If the "steadiness" issue is just WiFi then you should have the problem sorted, if it is the line dropping (so wired devices lose connection) then you may have a different problem.

Incidentally, any service delivered over the phone line is likely to have the same speed and reliability to a wired device, the WiFi (obviously) varies a bit depending on the ISP supplied router.   

I am the satisfied customer....