cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do I need a new BT socket when there's already an existing Openreach socket?

NewCustomer1
Hooked

Re: Why do I need a new BT socket when there's already an existing Openreach socket?

Curiouser and curiouser. Just checked Shell Energy broadband they, too, say they'll have to send an engineer around for £60.

However, I checked Onestream, more or less at random, and for their fibre package they too say an engineer needs to come around but they won't charge for it.

And TalkTalk also say an engineer is required to visit the property, however they won't charge for it, either. 

Perhaps NowTV is mistaken or will tack on an engineer visit once I've signed up?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 399

Re: Why do I need a new BT socket when there's already an existing Openreach socket?

There is almost certainly no working line showing on Openreach's systems since there has been no service at the property for some time. The charge is a 'standard' charge for providing a working line. This might require an Openreach engineer to attend either the exchange, the cabinet or maybe even the property in order to make the neccessary connections to provide a working line.

Some ISP's will pass on (some of) the charge made to them by Openreach but others will not , as you've discovered

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 257

@NewCustomer1 I still think this is incorrect information somewhere in the BT system, or, as a thought has just occurred to me, the property has been empty so long, they need to re-provision it.

Edit:@MisterW has voiced my thoughts more eloquently.

John
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

@NewCustomer1 wrote:

I'm in a flat that hasn't had broadband for about five years. There's an existing Openreach socket but nothing has been plugged into it for the last few years. And there's been no working phone in the flat for about the same amount of time.

Then it's highly likely that a part, or all, of the external routing has been used for provision or maintenance.

Is there any sign of life if you plug a phone in?

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,601

@MisterW wrote:

There is almost certainly no working line showing on Openreach's systems since there has been no service at the property for some time. The charge is a 'standard' charge for providing a working line. This might require an Openreach engineer to attend either the exchange, the cabinet or maybe even the property in order to make the neccessary connections to provide a working line.

Some ISP's will pass on (some of) the charge made to them by Openreach but others will not , as you've discovered

I agree with this. In addition, if the line hasn't been active for some time, it is likely it's since been re-used by an engineer to connect a neighbouring property, so wouldn't show up as a stopped line we can remotely restart.

Also if we need an engineer to connect the phone line, we'd charge £49.99 whether that's as part of an installation, or even if we're restarting a stopped line, which was stopped on non-BT equipment at the exchange. 

If @NewCustomer1 can private message me their full address though, I'll be happy to take a closer look. Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
NewCustomer1
Hooked

Yes, I guess that all does make sense. However, the idea of simply turning on the broadband in this flat has now become a costly, time-consuming affair. I've been making do without it for years, so I guess there's no reason to change it now. I'll wait until an ISP offers completely free installation.

Thanks everyone for your help and information. 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,601

No problem, it should be straight-forward but appreciate it's relatively costly, if we need an engineer. 

Let us know if you've got further questions or there's anything else you'd need help with.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet