Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade from 150 to 500 FTTP

FIXED
geedlebug123
Grafter

Upgrade from 150 to 500 FTTP

Hi,

Upgraded online yesterday (April 1st) and had confirmation the upgrade would take place today (2nd April). Nothing yet? Am I supposed to do something like reboot the router?

9 REPLIES 9
Mav
Fixes: 515

Re: Upgrade from 150 to 500 FTTP

Fix
Moderator's note(s):

Thread moved from Full Fibre to My Order.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

geedlebug123
Grafter

Not really fixed yet, any clues anyone?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

Have you called customer support to check if the upgrade order has completed ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

csmith94
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 28

Hi @geedlebug123, I've checked over your order and can see that's committed to complete for tomorrow. As the order was placed on a bank holiday, it will take an extra day to complete as the order needs at least 1 working day to pass Openreach's validation before agreeing to a date. 

We did send an email out today to let you know of the change but I do appreciate that it's late notice to be sending, I'm really sorry about this. 

Curtis Smith
 Plusnet Help Team
geedlebug123
Grafter

Thank you Curtis appreciate the quick response 😊

csmith94
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 28

Not a problem at all Smiley

Curtis Smith
 Plusnet Help Team
mikeeyre68
Dabbler

I too upgraded from 500 to 900

Hopefully the same issue. Looking forward to tomorrow Smiley 

geedlebug123
Grafter

Hi Curtis,

Could you please confirm my upgrade has taken place today? My upload appears to have doubled in spedd but my download speed is the same as before?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 161

Can your devices / network 'consume' 500mbps?

FTTP data test speeds not as expected

There have been numerous reports of measured data speeds not fulfilling users' expectations of their shiny new FTTP service. An end-to-end data speed test is a somewhat blunt instrument with which to test the connection speed. In most instances the FTTP service is running at the product's connection speed, but the user's environment or the data speed test service cannot make full use of (saturate) the FTTP connection's bandwidth.

We can no longer have confidence that the cause of slower-than-expected data transfer speed is due to the broadband connection's performance. If there is any doubt that the user's technology, infrastructure or chosen test service cannot make full use of the FTTP link's bandwidth, then a data speed test is likely to deliver misleading results.

Here are a few things to consider / investigate...

1. Is the ethernet cable between the router and the ONT (Optical Network Terminator) CAT5e or better?
    CAT5 or below will not transfer data faster than 100mbps thus a simple cable could be the cause of slow data speeds. The ethernet link rate between hub and ONT can be observed in the Hub Two GUI under 'Status'. This is a good indicator of router <> ONT cable function.

2. Is the device on which the data speed test is being run connected over (CAT5e) ethernet cable (not WiFi)?
    A device connected over 2.4GHz WiFi absolutely will not get anywhere close to 300mbps. It will typically be less than 100mbps. Typical 'good' 5GHz performance using the Hub Two is likely to be below 500mbps and will get lower the further away the device is from the router. More optimal Wi-Fi performance is possible but involves sourcing your own third-party equipment that is capable of the newer standards. Also Wi-Fi performance is equally dependent on the type of device and the age of its technology standards. Some older devices do not support 5GHz, even the most recent smartphones only have a 2x2 antenna array, which limits the number of concurrent Wi-Fi streams. The Plusnet Hub Two can use more streams (go faster), but most types of device cannot.

3. Is the device on which the data speed test is being run connected over (CAT5e) ethernet cable with no intermediary devices (like Powerline adapters, switches and physical ports) on the LAN side?
    Irrespective of cabling, if there is a 10/100 ethernet switch in the chain then it is going to bottleneck things. Similarly Powerline adapters are highly unlikely to be able to pull anywhere close to 300mbps through electrical wiring. Many Powerline adapters that are rated at e.g. 500mbps, actually have only 10/100 ethernet ports which means the advertised speeds are near fiction.

4. There are no other devices active on the network at the time of the test.
    Other concurrent use of the network will reduce the bandwidth available for the data speed test, thus delivering a misleading result.

5. If on a static IP or using the Plusnet firewall (configured in the user portal) has the Plusnet IP profile updated?
    Data speed tests performed soon after the service has been connected (but before Plusnet's systems have updated) might be constrained by the account's line speed profile. Disconnect the router from the ONT, wait a short while, reconnect then check that the Current Line Speed (Download) reported in PN Broadband Status reflects the FTTP product's profile.

6. If using a third party router ensure that QoS (Quality of Service) and other traffic shaping tools are disabled.
    QoS and other tools have been seen to cause havoc with attempting to saturate FTTP links. Prioritisation and QoS features are very processor intensive and can (probably will) significantly bottleneck speeds. Notably there have been numerous reports of Netgear Orbi maxing out at 550mbps when connected direct to the ONT, rather than being connected to a Plusnet Hub Two.

7. Is the test device configured to use any VPN or corporate intranet connection?
    VPNs and corporate intranets can also be potential bottlenecks.

8. Is the data speed test device capable of moving the data at FTTP speeds?
    Some kit simply does not have the power to make full use of FTTP connection speeds. Whilst undertaking data speed tests, if running on MS Windows, use Task Manager's performance tab to check throughput limitations do not arise from...
    • CPU performance
    • Disk read/write speeds - FTTP will easily outpace a 5400 rpm disk
    • Memory utilisation - the data has to go somewhere!
    • Network performance - unless the machine is reasonably new, the ethernet port will be limited to 100mbps!!

9. Speed test service
    Not all speed test services are dependable nor consistent, so run some comparable tests on different speed test services, at different times of day and night (both on and off-peak) where possible. The following are good points of reference.

Please check out the above factors, to ensure that the perceived data speed is not compromised by some other factor limiting the data throughput-speed of your full-fibre FTTP.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

A user has observed that different devices ran at different speeds and their problem was discovered to be the LAN card settings on their Laptop...

My PlayStation was connecting at around 535mbs all the time, but the laptop was only running about 130mbps max. On checking the internet settings I found that speed and duplex were set to auto. I changed this to 1 Gigabit and now the test speed is 838mbps.

To find the settings for your ethernet adapter, go to advanced after selecting properties.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.