Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Static IP not working - still dynamic

FIXED
peritonkin
Dabbler

Static IP not working - still dynamic

Hi all, just made the switch over to Plusnet this week and all seems good with connection and speed etc. I have requested a fixed IP address for remote support purposes, but despite “activating” it in the portal and rebooting the router, it has not yet changed from dynamically allocated. I asked for the static IP before the service was activated, which might have been a bit rash, so perhaps that has hung things up somewhere.

How can I get this sorted out?

Many thanks, Sue
14 REPLIES 14
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Static IP not working - still dynamic

Are you business or residential?

A static IP is available on request on a business account. On residential it is chargeable (£5 on off). There are some gremlins in the portal UI in this space

You can use the PN Ticket link below to check if the static IP component has been activated.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

peritonkin
Dabbler

@Townman thanks for your quick help. I am residential and agreed to the £5 fee but I cannot see any Service Notice for the static IP. There were a few problems getting the service transferred, so I have quite a few Service Notices and Questions listed. What is the best way to create a new PN ticket for assigning the static IP if the portal is a bit flakey, as you mention?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Wait for a staff member to pick up this topic. Weekend cover tends to be a bit lighter than weekdays.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@peritonkin  I noticed your statement "I asked for the static IP before the service was activated", that could well be your problem, I seem to recall that an account has to be active before a change to static IP can be made. Forum staff will be able to sort this but you may have to wait a bit.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

No, a static IP address can be configured before the service is activated. I’ve just had that done on a new business account.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@Townman Yes, but business accounts are a different case, they have an automatic allocated static address included on the account which just needs to be enabled, residential accounts do not have this.

peritonkin
Dabbler

@RealAleMadrid @Townman thanks to you both for your assistance. I realised Sunday wasn’t the best day for beginning this investigation! But yes I did try to get it all set up with static IP before line activation, so that may have stumbled the system a little. Hopefully someone with back-end access will pick it up on Monday. Thanks Sue
peritonkin
Dabbler

Hi,

Has anyone been able to take a look at this for me?

Thanks, Sue
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Sue,

If a staff member had picked this up, they would have replied here.

peritonkin
Dabbler

Hi Plusnet,

I was hoping for a whisper of response about this by now. I really would like a ticket raised to rectify this IP problem but do I really have to call to do this?? Last few times I did this, it took a long time to get through, so I thought this forum would be the most efficient method. Please don’t prove me wrong! Thanks
willcutforth
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 97

Hey there @peritonkin sorry about the delay here, there is about 4 front line staff members on here so we are thin on the ground at the moment. I've tried to resolve it but it doesn't want to configure so I'm going to send it to our 2nd line guys. Sorry about this. I will take ownership now though for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Will Cutforth
 Plusnet Help Team
peritonkin
Dabbler

@willcutforth thank you for escalating this for me. Please let me know if you need me to do anything in the property. Many thanks, Sue

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Fix

Hi @peritonkin

I've managed to fix this for you now.

If you turn your router off and then back on you'll pick up the new static IP.

Let us know if there's anything else we can help with 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
peritonkin
Dabbler

@MatthewWheeler Thank you for looking in to this and making some changes. I actually don't know what the dynamic address was before, and the portal will no longer show me whether I am using dynamic or static. But it has been a few days and the address hasn't changed, so I hope that is it fixed for good now. Thanks again, Sue