Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router set up

ank5373
Hooked

Router set up

Hi Team

I have moved to Plusnet from Virgin. My activation date is 10th May. I just received a message from Openreach (on behalf of Plustnet) regarding activation. It is asking to power up the ONT.. I dont have any ONT in my premises. Not sure what is it that they are referring to?. 

Please advise. 

Regards

Anish

Tags (1)
25 REPLIES 25
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 260

Re: Router set up

@ank5373 Is your Plusnet product FTTC or Full Fibre?

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 416

@ank5373  Im assuming you have ordered Full Fibre (FTTP). The system believes there was an existing FTTP installation which would mean there should be an ONT (Optical Network Termination) in the property. See here for a description https://support.aa.net.uk/Openreach_FTTP_ONT . This is the equivalent of the Openreach Master socket for a conventional phone line, is the property of Openreach and is associated with the property. There should also be a CSP (Customer service point) grey box on the outside of the property which feeds the fibre through to the ONT.

The ONT does however require power and so the ordering system is requesting it to be powered so that checks can be performed.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend

@MisterW Good answer, but if the OP is 'moving from Virgin' I personally would doubt he he/she will have the BT fibre infrastructure already installed?

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@jab1 agreed, but something in the system believes there's an ONT associated with the property.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend

Fair enough, @MisterW , but to me this looks like a silly assumption - the OP is highly unlikely to find any BT/OR fibre infrastructure if they have been with Virgin for any length of time.

John
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@jab1 wrote:

@MisterW Good answer, but if the OP is 'moving from Virgin' I personally would doubt he he/she will have the BT fibre infrastructure already installed?

Possibly not the case here, but many new build houses will have ONT's pre-installed, regardless as to whether or not the the customer has taken a service from Openreach. Every house on my estate is like this (Virgin is also available).

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

jab1
Legend

Cheers, @bobpullen . We don't know enough to form an opinion, but I'll shut up.😉

John
ank5373
Hooked

Hi Team

I have ordered a full fibre connection and a Plusnet wireless router.

Regards

Anish

ank5373
Hooked

Hi MisterW

Thanks for the reply. I cant find any ONT anywhere in my apartment. All I have is a port on the wall (which was used by Virgin had used). Will that suffice ?.

Regards

Anish

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

All I have is a port on the wall (which was used by Virgin had used). Will that suffice ?.

No.

I've just noticed in your reply

I cant find any ONT anywhere in my apartment

My guess would be that the address in the Openreach database doesnt quite match your apartment and so it (the system) is either looking at the building itself or a different apartment

Is there a central communications/utilities room in the building ?

ank5373
Hooked

The property is on the second floor of the apartment. I have not noticed any junction box (like the one shown in Open reach article in the link that you shared). However I know that there are other flats using BT, Sky etc. It is a new built ( roughly 4 years old). Can I assume ONT would be there ?. To reconfirm, where should I check ?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

The link relates to a typical installation in a single property. An installation in a apartment building is likely to be different and I've really no experience of how that is typically arranged. What does the BT availability checker show for your address https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL/AddressHome

Enter your postcode and selct the correct address from the list , then post the results ( redact any details of the actual address as this is a public forum ).

That may give a better idea of the installation , particularly any narrative at the bottom of the page

ank5373
Hooked

Thanks MisterW

I find the following status on the BT Broadband checker site:- 

Our records show the following FTTP network service information for these premises:-Multi Dwelling Unit Residential UG Feed with no anticipated issues.

ONT exists with no active service. A spare port is available. Network is at capacity so a new ONT cannot be ordered.

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (VDSL or G.fast) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

In order to be eligible for handback, downstream speed should be less than Downstream Handback Threshold values.

If you decide to place an order for a WBC fibre product, an appointment may be required for an engineer to visit the end user's premises to supply the service

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

ONT exists with no active service.

Well that says the Openreach system is convinced there's already an ONT! Hence the system wnats to check its working.

You're going to have to play hunt the ONT I'm afraid, or at least try and establish where it was or should be, in case someone removed it previously.

Have you got any other sockets in the apartment ?

I wonder if the ONT has been installed in a common utilities area and an ethernet connection wired to sockets in apartments ?

Failing that you're going to have to check where the fibre comes into the building (its underground according to the checker) so there should be an obvious cable or CSP box on the outside ( at ground level ) and then try and understand where it is routed inside the building.