Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router despatched?

FIXED
peritonkin
Dabbler

Router despatched?

Hi Plusnet and everybody,

I have recently had to switch to Plusnet from John Lewis who are ending their broadband offering. I initiated the switch as soon as I realised, giving me an activation date of approx 14/11/2022. Unfortunately we were hoping to install the router physically before my son leaves on 8/11/2022 as I will be unlikely to be able to do it. I know it won't work immediately, but that's ok. It is the wiring etc that will cause me trouble and I can survive on just my mobile data for a week.

Long story short, is there any way to find out if the router has been despatched? Or any way to get it sent today (7/11/2022) so it arrives tomorrow?

Many thanks in advance, Sue

9 REPLIES 9
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 257

Re: Router despatched?

@peritonkin Your current JL modem/router will work on Plusnet - you will just need to change the username/password to that of your Plusnet account. Should you need help, post back on here and someone will guide you.

John
peritonkin
Dabbler

Thanks @jab1 for your lightning response! I asked the Plusnet guys about the ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A router and they said it wouldn't work. If all else fails I will get my son to talk me through reconfiguring the broadband login details with the old router until someone can make the physical switchover. Thanks Sue

jab1
Legend

Fix

No problem. Depending on the post service, you should get the PN Hub in time for your son to set it up, they are sent out to arrive 2/3 days before your service becomes live, but I am fairly certain the ZyXEL will work on PN, despite what you were told by the agent.

@Baldrick1 - hope I'm not giving duff info here?

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 402

@jab1  no, you're not giving duff info. The zyxel will work fine if the username/password are changed to the plusnet ones.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend

Thanks, @MisterW - thought so, but I prefer to check. 😉

John
peritonkin
Dabbler

@MisterW @jab1 great. thank you both for your replies. This is definitely something more manageable for me and requires minimal changes for the time being. All the other settings look the same as the FAQ (https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/broadband-connection-settings/) so just the username and password need changing.

Thanks again, Sue

jab1
Legend

Correct, @peritonkin 

John
Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

@peritonkin 

To make sure that it changes over you need to drop the connection then reconnect. The easy option is to unplug the DSL cable whilst changing the username and password.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

Not only will that router work fine, ask the right person in Plusnet to assign the router's serial number to your account ... and it will self-configure.  Further I would argue that the JLP routers are superior to Hub Ones, but I have not yet made up my mind about the comparison to Hub Two.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.