cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet blocking my switch to another provide

new_customer
Hooked

Plusnet blocking my switch to another provide

I've just switched (or so I thought) broadband and landline away from Plusnet and until a couple of days ago the switch seemed to be going through smoothly. Yesterday evening I received an email from Plusnet thanking me for 'deciding to stay with Plusnet', after which they blocked the switch. My new provider says that we now have to cancel the switch order and start a new one. 

This is outrageous, since I neither made nor communicated any such decision to Plusnet. If anything, I am most relieved to be leaving them after the terrible service throughout (including the month's delay when I originally moved to Plusnet). The new provider says BT Openreach is also involved, with some claim about not being able to port the landline number over. BT is Plusnet's owner. 

How can Plusnet/BT unilaterally decide to stop the switch, without my consent? How can I force them to let go? I am at the end of my contract with Plusnet. 

Thanks for any help.

Tags (1)
7 REPLIES 7
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Plusnet blocking my switch to another provide

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to My Order

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Hey @new_customer, thanks a lot for getting in touch and I'm sorry to hear you're leaving Sad 

I've just given the account a once over though, and can 100% confirm that we've not cancelled any incoming orders from your new provider. I can see that it's cancelled, but we'd know if it was us that cancelled it. Orders can cancel for a number of reasons, so it's best just asking their provisioning team to replace them. Smiley 

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
new_customer
Hooked

Hi Adam,

My new provider NOW says that you or BT blocked porting of my landline number. True or not? I have no idea, but this isn’t the first time that there have been issues. When I first signed up with you, Plusnet messed up the switch over and took a month to sort it out.

And now both providers (Plusnet and NOW) are blaming each other, and neither is making any effort to coordinate with the other, or to provide the service I requested.

Can you categorically confirm that neither Plusnet nor any other BT entity prevented my number from being ported over?

Thanks.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

@new_customer wrote:
And now both providers (Plusnet and NOW) are blaming each other, and neither is making any effort to coordinate with the other, or to provide the service I requested.

Can you categorically confirm that neither Plusnet nor any other BT entity prevented my number from being ported over?

I think Plusnet have answered that question from their side - "I've just given the account a once over though, and can 100% confirm that we've not cancelled any incoming orders from your new provider."

Where did Plusnet "blame" NOW?

The way the migration process works is that the new provider YOU choose is responsible for the whole of the migration journey.  It is up to them to sort out all issues which arise.

Plusnet can make no assertions here on behalf of other BT divisions.  What is known is that there can be a multitude of reasons why the migration process fails - substantially from within BT Wholesale and / or BT Openreach.  Those are issues for NOW to manage and resolve.

As for number porting who "owns" the telephone number - that is who originally had the number?  You infer that you hop around between suppliers - was this number originally allocated by Sky, Talk Talk, Virgin Media or one of the other telcos?  If yes, then it is probably they who are responsible for porting issues.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks a lot for getting back to me @new_customer and I'm again really sorry for the issues you're having when trying to transfer your services across to NOWTV. 

A brief overview of the number porting process:

Every number in the UK has what's called a range holder, the range holder is the original owner of the landline number. The original owners of your number is Virgin Media, meaning whenever you transfer providers, Virgin will always have a say in the number porting process. Now, if Virgin or NOW TV has any details of that number that don't match ours, the number port cannot complete. 

Please can you ask your new provider for your address's NAD key and send it over to me via PM? I just want to make sure that the address matches up. 

Adam
new_customer
Hooked

Thanks,Adam945, for providing this useful piece of information, I will ask my NOW for my address NAD key and pm you as soon as I get it.

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Great stuff Smiley more than happy to help. 

Adam