Order issues

FIXED
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 425

Re: Order issues

I moved into a detached bungalow.

Thanks for that. I ask because we've seen confusion with addresses particularly where building have been converted to flats and the 'system' get the address wrong and so doesnt believe an ONT exists. That shouldn't be the case with a detached property.

There is an open question on my account where I was asked to clarify the new one (I have done this). No reply to my response. 

However, that does seem to imply there IS some confusion somewhere, hopefully @MatthewWheeler can get to the bottom of the problem.

Whilst waiting, it might be worth getting your UPRN ( Unique property reference number ) from the site here https://www.findmyaddress.co.uk/ and then using that as the input to the BTwholesale checker https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

That should show that WBC FTTP is available and the narrative below the main results should say something like

Our records show the following FTTP network service information for these premises:-Single Dwelling Unit Residential OH Feed with no anticipated issues.

ONT exists with no active service. A spare port may be available or a single port ONT may be swappable to a multiport ONT. A new ONT may be ordered.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Blob
Dabbler

That find my address search doesn't seem to cover Northern Ireland. Just the mainland.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@Blob Ah! didnt realise you were in NI.

Does the BTw checker work using your address ? use the address verion https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL/AddressHome

put in your postcode and select your address from the dropdown

If so it would still be useful to see the narrative below the main results

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Blob
Dabbler

It's no problem. I should have said tbh!

Worked after I changed to the desktop one. I've just copied and pasted below.

Our records show the following FTTP network service information for these premises:-Single Dwelling Unit Residential Northern Ireland only turnkey civils install.

ONT exists with no active service. A spare port is available. A new ONT may be ordered.

As a fibre priority exchange, FTTP has priority over other products if available at the address

As a WLR withdrawal exchange, product restrictions apply

SOADSL is not restricted at the exchange

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (VDSL or G.fast) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

For all SOADSL services,the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

This site is in an FTTP priority area where FTTP is available but exceptionally SOGEA will also show as available to order but only at Non-Standard Premises (NSP) such as Hot site, Uninhabitable and Temporary locations. Migrations of WLR Solus (voice-only lines) is also allowed but only for SOGEA 0.5Mbps bandwidths. SOGEA 40/10 bandwidths order is also allowed.

Actual speeds experienced by end users and quoted by CPs will be lower due to a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.

In order to be eligible for handback, downstream speed should be less than Downstream Handback Threshold values.

If you decide to place an order for a WBC fibre product, an appointment may be required for an engineer to visit the end user's premises to supply the service

ADSL, ADSL2+ and SOADSL availability: If shown at FTTP or SOGEA premises,ADSL, ADSL2+ and SOADSL are not available to order due to WLR Withdrawal stop sell rules. CPs should order FTTP or SOGEA. Copper products are only available by exception
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@Blob thanks, the definitive information there is :-

ONT exists with no active service. A spare port is available. A new ONT may be ordered.

Which confirms that the 'system' knows there's an ONT installed. The 'no active service' is (I believe) that the previous occupants ISP has ceased the service, which is what you would expect.

So @MatthewWheeler why do Openreach think work is needed ?

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 53

@Blob 

One other thing to note from the Checker

Actual speeds experienced by end users and quoted by CPs will be lower due to a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.

It might mean there's a capacity issue somewhere which OR are expecting to solve.

Brian

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@bmc Nah, that just a standard text that appears in all cases. Gives OR/BTw a get out if anything goes slow!

What MIGHT be causing the system to throw a wobbler is

Our records show the following FTTP network service information for these premises:-Single Dwelling Unit Residential Northern Ireland only turnkey civils install.

It shouldn't but who knows what goes on in OR's systems ?

Blob
Dabbler

Bit of an update, just got a text through from Openreach. They want to carry out work on the property on the 26th. May need to dig underground. Not sure if this has been prompted by me reaching out here.

I will have to get the overgrown garden sorted then!

Edit - in checking their email and checklists, it looks like I am getting an ONT installation. I have no idea what is going on with this!
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Not sure if this has been prompted by me reaching out here. 

I doubt that. It's more likely a response to the original report that Openreach claim they needed to do some 'work' . They've now scheduled whatever it is they 'think' they need to do!!

I still don't understand what is is they need to do ? My guess is that 'the system says we need to do the work so we'll do it' . The fact that you already have a working ONT seems to be irrelevant, its a 'computer says no!' situation.

I'd be pretty sure that if/when someone from OR does turn up, they'll take one look and say 'no idea why I've been sent, you already have a working ONT' !!

Blob
Dabbler

I am fairly sure that will happen too. I can't see them needing to do anything with this.

I just wish there was a way to contact them and send them some shots of what I actually have. It is wasting everyone's time.

Ended up buying a 4G device for WFH but we are still operating around minuscule data allowances.
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 53

@Blob 

@MatthewWheeler should be able to see the picture of the ONT which you posted (and has a nice view of the serial number). If he contacts OR support he'll be able to forward it on.

Brian

Blob
Dabbler

Thanks Brian. Fingers crossed eh?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Edit - in checking their email and checklists, it looks like I am getting an ONT installation. I have no idea what is going on with this!

@Blob your post from yesterday just got released from the spam filter

Initiated chat with OR ...

... and the estimated work completion date is set for RBD: 28/05/2023 . The team is already working hence, requesting your co-operation. As we need RBD + 1 working day to get an update while the task is with the external teams. So I would like to request you to kindly review the HUD on 29/5/2024 for further update. Once the external work will get complete then the engineer will assigned for the internal work)

but that was supposed to be complete LAST month. My guess is that the address is wrong on the order and  OR have either done work at the wrong address and are waiting to schedule an ONT install (which will really confuse the occupant of the wrong address!) or OR realised the address was wrong and didnt do the work but the job never got closed off, so they still think its necessary!!

Either way, it needs someone to apply some sense and sort OR out...

Blob
Dabbler

Originally, I was told 10 days on the phone. Then it went to something like 5 days. Then I got told it was the end of June, and that's where we are at now.

I had already said about the ONT on one of the earlier calls. I also asked whether they needed the serial number from it and was told no (I have read about openreach having scatty database keeping skills).

I think it is highly likely something has gone completely wrong with this. It's a bit maddening to deal with on top of all the other stuff with this move.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Fix

@Blob you might try the approach taken on this thread https://community.plus.net/t5/Full-Fibre/Install-Activation-snags/m-p/1973977#M24524

Point out you have a working ONT and the previous occupant had a working service.