Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No router delivered

FIXED
exvirgin
Hooked

No router delivered

Hi

So the post office have failed to deliver my hub and I have an engineer coming on Monday for a new FTTP install.

I don't intend to use the Plusnet hub as I already have a couple of Asus AX routers.

Is the hub required at any point during activation or can I just wait for the activation message and set up my own stuff?

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

Re: No router delivered

@exvirgin Have you had notice the Hub has been despatched - you should have had, by email and/or text, and a message on your account?

So long as your own equipment is suitable for use with FTTP (I assume it is) you just need to configure it with your PN credentials.

John
exvirgin
Hooked

Thanks for replying.

A postperson came on Thursday and got confused with the whole letterbox/parcel thing and wondered off, no card left. I used the tracking info from Plusnet to reschedule for Saturday.

Another came on Friday then wondered off but did leave a card with the wrong tracking number on.

No delivery today as I asked for and I'm now no longer able to reschedule on the website. I've given up on the hub.

The routers are suitable for FTTP, I've seen others using the same models. I'm mostly wondering if there has to be a router plugged in for Plusnet to do their thing and get everything set up after the ONT install or if I can wait until it's activated before I start taking bits off my current network.

jab1
Legend

Fix

Sounds like total incompetence from RM. As far as I am aware, on FTTP there does not have to be a router in operation for the PN to 'do their thing', so long as the ONT is powered up. In any case, the installer(s) should wait until you have connected/configured your kit, as they are supposed to ensure you have a working connection before leaving.

John
exvirgin
Hooked

Thanks, I'll get the router I'm using as a mesh node set up in advance and hopefully It'll work off the bat and I'll leave the other connected to my current virgin setup as a fall back.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 161

Bring back Postmen - they get the job done with no fussiness.

Hope the install goes well.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

exvirgin
Hooked

Thanks, I've got a week off work and my current connection is active until the end of the month so I'll work something out.

I'll post an update on Monday.

exvirgin
Hooked

Wouldn't let me log on yesterday for some reason - update as promised.

The network part of the installation was fine, Asus router connected first time, speeds ok off the bat and as expected shortly after. Getting 940 down and 110 up wired. Got a Nokia ONT with (I think) a 2.5 gb port, still only get 940 with a pc with a 2.5gb port plugged in directly. Got the text from Plusnet saying it was set up a few hours later.

Felt for the guys doing the install, looked easy, pole at the end of the drive and I wanted to come in at ground level on the facing wall. Issue was it's a hundred year old two up two down and it seems to be built out of diamond. He managed with his cordless Makita but I don't think he was having fun.

So I've got an Asus AX82U in the middle of downstairs, an AX55 upstairs and an RP-AX58 pointing out the kitchen window to cover cams and the garden, all with wired backhaul. PCs wired in and everything else wireless. All working well except this old laptop. I needed to blow the fans out and tighten the trackpad after girl cat rampaged over it. Thought I'd put an AX210 card in while I was on and broke an aerial wire. Doing aerials tomorrow...

jab1
Legend

Glad it all went well.

I assume you are on the 900Mb package, as that is the top that PN offer, so 940 is very good.

John
exvirgin
Hooked

Thanks.

Yes I'm on the 900 package, getting 920 to 943 down and 109 to 120 up depending on who's website you believe. Real world download speeds match so I'm a happy bunny. Three times the speeds and a third of the latency of my old ISP for less money.

Seeing high 600s on the couple of wifi 6 devices I have as well, which is nice.