Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New customer experience

davel8r
Grafter
Fixes: 3

New customer experience

Hello, 

I've just gone live with my PN broadband connection this morning after 6 years with Virgin Media and their ever increasing costs. We're on the Plymstock exchange in Plymouth.

The whole process has been so straightforward that I wanted to post this to give a view on how things are when they go really well as quite often you only get to read about problems that people have.

Having placed my order I then had to decide whether to use the PN kit or go with my own and having just stumped up on a new Asus router, I was keen to use it. I spent many hours reading through the forums over the last weeks to decide on which kit to use and settled on a Huawei HG612 from MyMemory(£18) with my existing Asus AC86U router which I recently got from Amazon DE for about £150. It came with a German power adapter but I just plug into the power socket with a shaver adapter.

Thanks to everyone who posted about the Huawei modem and setting it up I was able to unlock it easily and apply the latest firmware obtained through Kitz forum

The BT engineer arrived this morning at 8:00 and tidied up some old wiring for me as well as putting in the new faceplate. He had to go "up the pole" to do something up there and back to the cabinet to switch me onto a new pair as there was an issue with the battery //???// but he was done and dusted in just over an hour and left me with a working connection. 

Speedtest gives me a result of 78.4 down and 18.6 up and this is against PNs estimated range which was as follows:-

Download: 55 - 72Mb
Upload: 17 - 18Mb
Minimum Guaranteed Speed: 50.5Mb

I've attached the stats from the modem page and hope that things don't change too much as the next few days unfold.

2 REPLIES 2
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

Re: New customer experience

I've attached the stats from the modem page and hope that things don't change too much as the next few days unfold.

From looking at those stats, things shouldnt change. Both your upstream and downstream speeds are limited by the profile rather than what the line is capable of. You have SNR headroom on both upstream (plenty) and downstream (a little)

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

davel8r
Grafter
Fixes: 3

Re: New customer experience

Thanks MisterW - good to know