cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue Upgrading To SuperFast Fibre Optic

Zab
Dabbler

Re: Issue Upgrading To SuperFast Fibre Optic

@Gandalf Ahh yes! You’ve been amazing though, appreciate your fast service and quality communication thus far. Had to put my foot down today because of lack of communication so you’ve been very helpful. Fingers crossed for sure!
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Cheers, no problem at all! Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Zab
Dabbler

Hey @Gandalf , Please read Private messages when you get the time to. Unfortunately, I’m still having issues with this topic.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi @Zab I've seen it and I've emailed our business team almost straight away.

I'll message you back as soon as I know more. Sorry to see this is still an issue. Sad

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Zab
Dabbler

@Gandalf Hi there! Thank you for getting back to me, I emailed them what you told me in private messaging. I spoke to them on the phone and have messaged you what was communicated to me.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi @Zab I've just messaged you back now. No problem and I'm really sorry for the continued trouble you're having. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Zab
Dabbler

Hey @Gandalf , So finally after going through hassle for nearly a month, the new broadband equipment is here. We have connected but we’re getting the same speeds. I’m assuming that this is because OpenReach need to switch our line to Fibre in our cabinet? When will OpenReach be able to come and see this through? It’s been far too long of a process.
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @Zab,

Thanks for getting back in touch. I'm sorry to hear that this is still ongoing. I've had a look into this today and I can see that the orders to install the Fibre are currently estimated to complete at any time up until midnight on the 30th of September. I'm afraid that we're unable to bring this forward at this stage, but as far as I can tell, there's no reason to believe this will be delayed. This doesn't mean a delay is impossible bear in mind, just that it seems unlikely based on what we can currently see in front of us.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
Zab
Dabbler

@Gandalf @TheMightyAJ , So after 4 weeks of chasing this up. After both UniHomes and PlusNet confirming that Fibre Optic was available at my property. Now I'm being told the total OPPOSITE again by UniHomes. This is the email they sent:

"Unfortunately, we’ve been advised by BT Openreach, who manages cabling across the UK, that Fibre Optic Internet is not available at your property at the moment. We’ve checked, and Virgin Media is also not available at your property.

We’ve amended your account to include our Standard ADSL broadband package. Luckily, you’ll still have access to our 24/7 technical support, receive a free router and there won't be any setup charges!"

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@Zab wrote:

... that Fibre Optic was available at my property ...

"Unfortunately, we’ve been advised by BT Openreach, who manages cabling across the UK, that Fibre Optic Internet is not available at your property at the moment. We’ve checked, and Virgin Media is also not available at your property.

We’ve amended your account to include our Standard ADSL broadband package. Luckily, you’ll still have access to our 24/7 technical support, receive a free router and there won't be any setup charges!"

@Zab 

(My bold underlining above)

It's possible there's some confusion arising between the various parties (no offence intended, but possibly including yourself) regarding the misleading terminology.  If the powers that be had not allowed VDSL to be called 'Fibre' this could've been avoided, only I suspect that was allowed because 'Fibre' sounds more attractive to prospective punters.

ISTM the best you could achieve ATM is VDSL (i.e. FTTC - Fibre To The Cabinet) which as you may or may not be aware would actually be delivered to your premises via your existing copper telephone line in much the same way as you now receive your ADSL (although the copper link between the exchange and your cabinet is replaced by fibre).  If that is the case, there never would be any 'fibre equipment' (other than a VDSL-capable modem router) installed at your premises.

It's possible that whoever has checked for 'Fibre Optic Internet' being available to you has actually checked for FTTP (Fibre To The Premises) which is what proper fibre is, and found that it's not.

Zab
Dabbler

@RobPN Whatever it is, I'm done with PlusNet and UniHomes. Have delayed me for 4 weeks and the communication has been poor. Therefore, I am switching networks to BT. 

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@Zab  The question is what service can BT retail supply to you? If Plusnet via the hopeless  UniHomes cannot provide FTTC then BT will not be able to either. It is all dependent on what is available from Openreach.

Zab
Dabbler

@RealAleMadrid Oh trust me they've been able to give me more information than what UniHomes and PlusNet were able to give me combined. And I already finalized the order with them so it's very much available - They checked for me and even said that they get calls like this all the time, so they get the joy in having to deal with the transferring process themselves. Just UniHomes and PlusNet not knowing how to do their jobs. 

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

There are many things that do not follow.

1. You have an order in the system due to complete on the 30th Sep, the router has already arrived so why are you trying to change things?

2. If as you say you place a order direct with BT you have just added at least 10 days before you can get service. Any transfer of service on BT/Openreach lines are subject to OFCOM rules to safeguard a practise called slamming.

3. I presume UniHomes own the line and the property you are renting, so when they get the notice that someone is trying to take over the line, they will refuse.

4. You have tried to bypass UniHomes process by going direct to PlusNet who have tried to help you, but their hands are tied as the customer is UniHomes. 

5. You have a contract with UniHolmes, even if you do manage to get out of it, you will be liable for cancelation fees.

You had all the info 4 weeks ago why would you want to add even more delay now? The process is no doubt new to you, let it be a learning experience, just don't chuck it all away now.

Zab
Dabbler

@Mustrum
With all due respect, if you can’t read the thread in it’s entirety - then don’t respond because you’re not doing your job. Clearly don’t understand the situation as much as the PlusNet representatives involved in this thread who helped me. And you clearly didn’t read this thread properly.

1. First of all did you not see I said UniHomes have cancelled the Fibre connection for the 30th because they said it’s magically unavailable again?

2. I am very much aware about how many days it will take for me to get the service from BT as they went along with the process for me.

3. They won’t refuse a transfer of service. They aren’t obligated to do that. We were given the PlusNet connection as an optional service and after 4 weeks of absolutely nothing and getting 3mbps which allows us to do nothing. We have decided to move to another service.

4. And I haven’t tried to bypass anything, UniHomes sent me back and forth to PlusNet - again if you can’t read, don’t respond.

5. I am very much aware there is cancellation fees, thank you very much.

Not even going to reply to your last paragraph because you’re actually slow.