cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long does it take for a router to arrive???

mattfordcoys

How long does it take for a router to arrive???

I ordered broadband 2 weeks ago. My broadband is supposed to go live by the 11th July (which in the 21st century I find astounding). I have not even received my router. Is there any way to hurry there process up? I'm not waiting half an hour to speak to someone on the phone.
9 REPLIES 9
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

Re: How long does it take for a router to arrive???

Hi there , welcome to the forum,  normally routers are sent out (1st class) a couple of days before you are due to go live.

You should also get an email/text when your router has been sent 

You may get a faster response using live chat :https://www.plus.net/help/chat/

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Webbstar

Delayed dates seems to be a common theme. Plusnet will blame BT and BT will blame Plusnet. In the case of a NEW phone line installation they will wait for the phone line to be installed by open reach and then will send the router out after that which is usually within 2 days. hope yours is an exisiting phone line as it should be quicker as stated above.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Blame?  You need to have the facts first.

BTw order management can be shambolic especially given the volume of inaccurate data they hold over properties and phone lines.  Add to that the complexity of their ordering system accepting orders which for one or another obscure reasons could be invalid it is not surprising that ISPs sometimes struggle.  I have personally encountered numerous issues which have all been down to BTOR leaving the ISP only able to report back the nonsense proffered by BT.  Sure when the BT guy actually gets on the ground they might not have insight into those issues, for that's not their job.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Webbstar

What is BTOR?

I understand that BT control all the phone lines and all the providers have to rent off them surely they should be putting more systems in place to update providers accurate information and dates. If it were a different situation where you could pick or choose where your phone line rental was paid to then they would have to up thier game as their would be some element of competition. Maybe its just me.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

BTOR = BT Openreach

Your response rather hits the nail on the head - BTOR (outside of areas serviced by Virgin Media and similar) have a complete monopoly on the supply of the "last mile" copper network.  Some of their current practices date back to the days when the phone service was run by the GPO.

Every minor issue which causes an order to fail has typically got a 48 hour turnaround with BTOR (or BT Wholesale who sell the BTOR network to retail resellers).

mattfordcoys

I don't really care who is to blame. The email on the 26th June said my phone line would be live in 2-4 days and broadband 4-7 days later. So it should have been live by Friday 7th July at the latest. I've received no communication to tell me other wise. My phone internet signal is so bad where I live that I lose connection to livechat whenever I try. For a company that claims to have good customer service their communication is a load of automated impersonal garbage.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Apologies that your activation is going to be later than anticipated, although most orders are within 5-7 working days, some do take longer due to engineer availability. We'll get you online asap.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Many problems seem to rest with BTOR butvit's the staff working for the ISP's who get the stick when problems go wrong as customers cannot contact BTOR direct.

Not sure why this is, perhaps direct customer contact with BTOR might improve things once they start getting earache.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

So very true - BTOR are completely unaccountable to the people ultimately on the end of their poor performance - the customers of all the retail ISPs and CPs.

Much like the gas industry, where if there is a supply problem customers speak direct to CENTRICA (the gas grid people) not the gas retail reseller whom they pay for their gas.  If only it were the same for phones and BTw supplied WBC internet products.  Direct contact between end users and BTOR would surely bring them out of the dark ages?