cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting beyond a joke

jonmcghee
Dabbler

Re: Getting beyond a joke

Update, Visit from open reach yesterday (Tuesday) to check the line and put in new master socket......... mmmm that was done last week,

After this discussion with engineer he mentioned that because our line does not go through this green box but does go to exchange that a possible solution to start sorting it out would be to have us on standard broad band not super-fast he would have a look and get back to us. 

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

Oh!!  That hints at a different can of worms!  "but does go to exchange" suggests that the property is served by an Exchange Only line, which means there is no green cabinet and that there is no possibility of supplying FTTC.  In some places BTOR have built green cabinets outside of the exchange and re-routed EO lines.  See Exchange Only line - getting an upgrade - BT Community

Such a scenario would tie in well with the pair-reroute discussions and the A55 excavation notice.

ADSL2+ is likely to be fairly fast on an EO line.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@Townman  That's a rather odd statement to make ...."ADSL2+ is likely to be fairly fast on an EO line."

As you know It all depends on how long the line is, I got 8Mbps on a 2.5 Km line on ASDL Max, might have got a bit more on ADSL2+ but it wasn't available at the exchange. There are EO lines much longer so they will get very poor speeds.

As for the OP's situation it appears Openreach don't seem to know what they are doing, so nothing new there.🙄

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Fair observation @RealAleMadrid. Maybe it was a little presumptuous to anticipate that an EO line might typically be sub 1km and that near on 20mbps might therefore be a reasonable expectation. 🤔

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jonmcghee
Dabbler

So here we are again, Monday of a new week no contact from PlusNet, no more contact from open reach, I wonder if we will get a visit tomorrow from an engineer to check the line and fit a new master socket again. 

Lol got a ping from the bank to ask if DD for PlusNet was still valid as it has been 3 months since they last clamed it ...

Wonder what this week will bring.........

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi John, I'm really sorry for the considerable delays you've encountered getting your new line up and running. 

I've taken ownership of getting this sorted out for you so I'm your point of contact. 

I've spoken with Openreach who advise that the line routing is due to be fixed today and confirmed an engineer has been assigned. 

I'll try giving you a call later and have updated the ticket on your account with further details here: https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=226407799

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@adamwalker 

Are you able to indicate what is going on here please?  A significant characteristic of the community / forum is that people can learn from other's experience to understand better the real world and hopefully in more cases, obtain self-help.

Are you able confirm what is being guessed at here...

1. This user is on an EO line
  2. Therefore, there is no green cabinet from which to provide a FTTC service
  3. Delivery of FTTC in this case requires BTOR to re-route the circuit from the property to a green cabinet (d-side)
  4. Re-routing via a green cabinet requires a re-route of the phone circuit from the exchange (e-side) and work in the exchange
  5. There is a fair possibility that 3 and 4 might involve ground works requiring local authority permission for road closures / dig works (hence the A55)

In short this is not a normal (simple) upgrade from ADSL to FTTC as a user might reasonably expect.

jonmcghee
Dabbler

We moved in to this house in September, phone line in the house but dead, phone calls/email back and forth with no joy. Finally 2 weeks ago an OP engineer turned up to check line and fit new master socket line goes to exchange but for some reason was not connected through the green box and then last week another one turned up to check the line and fit a new master socket... Told him the score and he was going to see if we could be connected just using the line as temporary fix until green box routing could be completed but would get back to us. That's how it stands at the min.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@jonmcghee wrote:
line goes to exchange but for some reason was not connected through the green box

The reason is that EO lines (circuits) do not have a d-side and an e-side pair routed via a green cabinet.  The e-side runs from the exchange straight into the premises ... so there is no need for a green box ... and nowhere to install FTTC.

jonmcghee
Dabbler

Well still waiting, Adam from plusnet keeps updating us and now someone or something has cancelled the work order with open reach.......
Perhaps should ask Santa 🎅 for an Internet connection.
jonmcghee
Dabbler

Well we are still waiting, apparently now OR can not handle an order that includes both phone and broadband at the same time......
So they have said we should get phone in next Tuesday and then put an order in for the broadband.
So the saga continues...
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hey @jonmcghee,

I'm really sorry for the time it's taking to sort this out. I can see that Adam is monitoring the case and is due an update on Monday. He's not currently in the office, but will contact you again on Monday as soon as possible to discuss our next steps from here.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
jonmcghee
Dabbler

lol.... progress at last we have a working phone line no broadband yet but halfway there, now just to see how long part 2 will take to sort out.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi Jon! just for transparency I wanted to post here that we're working with Openreach to fix the routing for your line at the moment, that's likely to take a few more days. I'll be on leave until the 13th after today but one of my team mates will be taking the reins in the meantime.

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
jonmcghee
Dabbler

Enjoy your days off. Catch you when you get back.