Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First connection

FIXED
Elmr123
Hooked

First connection

I switched from talk talk, after confirming with plusnet that I would take on a contract with them I had a text a few days later saying from plusnet that my old supplier has told them that I would be staying with them, at that was what I had said, I hadn't. One confirming once again plusnet continued with my order, router received and first payment made on the 8th march. I was due to be connected with plus net on the 1st april. More than the 10 days suggested but that fine. They then said I'd be connected on the 2nd April. My old supplier dropped out on the 31st march. Morning of 2nd April I get a text saying there has been a delay but no idea as to why. Almost a month after my first payment and still no connection.
12 REPLIES 12
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Re: First connection

Hi @Elmr123 

A warm welcome to the forums.

This does need a staff member to examine what is happening.  From the little that you've said, it somewhat seems as thought Talk Talk might well have made your departure difficult.  First blocking your switch, then possibly placing a  service cease on the line for 31st March.

You mention the 10 day delay rule - this is to prevent lines being slammed (something Talk Talk used to be notorious for) - it allows time for the exiting supplier to tell their customer that a line take over has been attempted and to allow the customer time to back out.  The fact that Talk Talk did that "on your behalf!!" will have given rise to two 10 day delay cycles.

There is then the possibility that Talk Talk decided to place a cease order on your line instead of allowing the standard migration process to proceed.  Where an existing provider places a cease order on a line, a new provider cannot raise new service orders until that cease has executed.  If the cease was scheduled for 31st March, a phone service provide on1st April would be a hopeful achievement - switching form Sky or Talk Talk (LLU providers) requires physical engineering in the exchange and is thus dependent upon engineering resources being available.  It would be a fair guess that BTOR has slipped the date due to engineer availability.

After all of that, there is some possibility that Plusnet simply dropped the ball consequential to TalK Talk (TT) slamming your request to migrate providers ... or the additional complication that TT might have provided your telephone service over VoIP ... which gives rise to issues when migrating back to BT's network.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to My Order

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi @Elmr123

I'm really sorry for the delay with your order.

From what I can see this seems to be due to engineer availability to carry out work at the exchange to make the switch.

I've checked your order details with our suppliers, and I can see the exchange work is currently assigned to an engineer.

I'd expect we should know more tomorrow and we'll provide an update as soon as we do.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Elmr123
Hooked

Thankyou, as long as it's moving forward, that's fine. I was just a little worried that we had been forgotten.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problem and thanks for checking!

Let me know how things go.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Elmr123
Hooked

I still haven't heard anything so far today, I do appreciate that they are probably busy.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I actually checked first thing this morning and the engineering task was still in the status "WME (Work Manager Executing)" which basically means it's allocated to an engineer. As there's still no update, I'm chasing this up with our suppliers helpdesk now and I'll post back when I've got more info.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Elmr123
Hooked

Thankyou very much.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Fix

No worries at all. I've been advised that an engineer picked the job up on Friday but ran out of time in their day, so they've retained the job to themselves to follow up personally and should be completing the work today.

All being well, your services should hopefully go live before midnight tonight.

Let me know how it goes. I won't be in the office tomorrow but my colleagues may be able to help you while I'm away. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Elmr123
Hooked

Thankyou so much.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I've got an e-mail about an hour ago from our suppliers escalation to advise that there have been a number of engineers working on this task, so they definitely hadn't forgotten about you. Checking the order just now I can see the work has been carried out, so when the order completes you should be able to get online.

This should be before midnight still and we'll e-mail/text you when your broadband's gone live. Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hiya, it looks like you may be up and running now as I see your router's been online for a couple of minutes! Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet