Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Upgrade

nathannchan
Grafter

Fibre Upgrade

I’ve recently upgraded from 500mbps to 900mbps

Today is the day the agreed switch, however my connection speed has significantly dropped. Does anyone know when it will switch today?
19 REPLIES 19
James30
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 31

Re: Fibre Upgrade

@nathannchan - sorry we missed you the order day, is it all up and running now?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
James - Plusnet Sheffield
Plusnet Help Team
nathannchan
Grafter

My account says I’m on the 900 package however my speed is about 150mbs and not increasing. It’s slower than before I upgraded
James30
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

@nathannchan - I've check here an it's all good, can you reboot the router and do another test on ethernet. Also is it our router you're using, I know of a few routers that don't support more than 150MBPS

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
Plusnet Help Team
nathannchan
Grafter

I have the Hub 2, when I was in the 500 package I was running around 300-400. As soon as I’ve upgraded it’s fallen significantly
nathannchan
Grafter

Router has been reset and still getting no where near the minimum guaranteed speed of 500mbs
James30
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

@nathannchan - Can you try rebooting the router and running another test. The account profile here needs a new session to take affect if it was changed after your last rebooted a day or so ago. Let me know if it does resolve it though, also are you running the speed test over ethernet to a computer?

Plusnet Help Team
James30
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

@nathannchan I can see you you've rebooted now thanks, is the test done over ethernet?

Plusnet Help Team
nathannchan
Grafter

I’m running the rest over wifi on my mobile. I don’t see how Ethernet is relevant here. The point is that my speed is slower than before I chose to upgrade.

I did also receive an email saying interleaving is turned off at my request when I never requested such a thing
James30
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

@nathannchan I don't mean any offence but this is completely relevant. WIFI is the number one reason for speed issues. I need you to check the speed over ethernet to confirm the connection to the property is fine as that is what the speeds estimates are relating to not what your phone see over WIFI. Do you have a computer to test it on over ethernet? Ta

Plusnet Help Team
nathannchan
Grafter

my macbooks don’t have an Ethernet port. Nor do I have a dongle for it.

My understanding was that upgrading required no hardware to be installed. I have the latest hub, so expected the speed to increase, not decrease
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

@nathannchan   given the router is only capable of WiFi 5 speeds you will never see more than you were seeing. So your expectations are unrealistic.

nathannchan
Grafter

So why are plusnet advertising 900 speeds?
nathannchan
Grafter

I’m really struggling to see how this is ok? I upgraded mid contract for a service which is worse than before. What are my rights to reverting to my old contract..
James30
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

DM me @nathannchan - As far as I can see here your router is getting the full speed. It's not like the old days with copper and interference, it's either there or it isn't or it's being restricted for some reason but I've checked all that. Would you mind sending me a picture of the back of the router and a wider shot so I can see where the router is positioned as I'm pretty sure we're dealing with a WIFI issue although testing by ethernet would confirm that.

The speed estimates are to the router not what you will get on speed tests because of the 1001 different things that can affect your speed that are out of our control but I'll be happy to help get this sorted, I just need you to have faith that I'm on your side, I've been doing this for a long time. 

There are things that I can chance from myside if things are looking alright with the router.

Oh by the way, if you would rather DM me the pictures feel free. Cheers 

Plusnet Help Team