Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC: engineer visit

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

Re: FTTC: engineer visit

@jab1 

Can't see any problems for an FTTP install. The underground duct has been checked and a draw rope left in place to pull fibre cable through.

Brian

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

@Seneca As I asked above, why was this not arranged when you were talking to the PN agent - I would have thought that would have been the sensible option?

John
jab1
Legend

@bmc wrote:

@jab1 

Can't see any problems for an FTTP install. The underground duct has been checked and a draw rope left in place to pull fibre cable through.

Brian

Neither can I.

John
Seneca
Dabbler

Yes, @jab1 , you did ask that above, and I replied that the guy I spoke to said he didn’t have access to engineers’ times.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@Seneca 

New home, new start. Join the 21st century and go for the FTTP option. If you want a landline phone then sign up for a new one with a VoIP phone from a company such as SIPgate.

Hopefully a Plusnet staffer will come along soon and clarify.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Seneca
Dabbler

@Baldrick1 I’d like FTTP but the person I spoke to said it’s not yet ready (apparently waiting for a BT site survey) and because I work from home I can’t have downtime so need reliable internet installed asap. Also tbh I’ve never had any criticism of FTTC speeds with Plusnet at current address.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Broadband to My Order

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

jab1
Legend

@Seneca Sorry missed/forgot that, but if he was doing his job properly he should have passed you to someone who could have scheduled the visit - now you'll have to call back.

John
bmc
Hero

@Seneca 

Something is not right here. According to the results you posted FTTP is available and ready to order. FTTP generally is a more stable connection and you can get faster speeds if this is important for your work.

Hopefully a staff member will pick up on this soon.

Brian

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

The perceived possible delay is down to the 'KCI 2 Assure' install status for FTTP

An explanation below

This is a marker to indicate what delivery process an order will go though and is provided to us (CPs) by Openreach.

KCI2 is the stage at which a committed date for delivery is agreed, barring any unforeseen issues.

Normally we get a KCI2 for FTTC or simple FTTP installations within a few minutes or hours of placing an order, since this can easily be calculated based on enough information being known about how to deliver, and so it's just down to engineering appointment resource.

Due to the vast variation in the different requirements in delivering FTTP to a given premise, Openreach needed a process where they would take the order to KCI1, and start the pre-work to bring the fibre to the edge of the premise. Doing this helps identify any issues and ultimately provide a more accurate/realistic KCI2 date.

This is why KCI2 Assure exists, it's purpose is to simply provide greater assurance of an accurate KCI2 date, having had an engineer taken a look and started to deliver the external lead in to the premise, with as much of the identifiable dependencies factored in.

Think of it as 2-stage, but the agreed date isn't given until after the lead in has been at least attempted. This occurs within 5 working days of order placement, to work out if it's simple or might need 2 weeks of work to unblock a duct for example, which can then be factored into the date.

Most of the time it's a case that the lead in was easily doable in the 5 day window, so the internal visit can then be booked at the first available engineering slot following.

For those concerned, it doesn't really mean it's any more likely to hit the ECC threshold than a regular 2-stage, that's still extremely rare. It does mean you're less likely to have failed installation appointments.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Seneca
Dabbler

@MisterW - thank you, that's really helpful. I think I follow. From my understanding of what you wrote, I could call up again tomorrow, ask to be put back on FTTP, and it would in fact be reliably set up (bar the need for an engineer to install an actual white box inside the property) quickly and before our moving date, which is around a fortnight away. Is that right?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

@Seneca  from my understanding and the notes on the checker stating that the u/g duct is clear, the jnitial lead in connection would be completed within 5 working days. The only possible fly in the ointment would be that only at that point could an engineer be booked for the interior install. The delay for that will depend on engineer availability in your area. Against that, the interior install should only need an engineer for an hour , rather than the typical 2 hours plus for a normal fttp install, so may be available at shorter notice.

The kci2 Assure seems to be the way OR are going with new areas, my daughters area has just been enabled and that is showing the same.

As long as you don't need a landline phone, I'd take the risk and opt for fttp.

As @bmc says its much more reliable than fttc and the option for higher speeds is great if you work from home

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bmc
Hero

@Seneca 

Given your moving date this needs a staff member to respond. I've tagged @Gandalf in the eternal hope this speeds up a response.

From what's been said so far, I would plan for some downtime - whether it's FTTC of FTTP. Hopefully it'll not come to that but you never know.

Brian

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi @Seneca, I've just checked your account and it looks like everything is sorted now but please get back to me on here if there's anything else we can help with.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team