cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Engineer did not arrive on time

SDS
Hooked

Engineer did not arrive on time

After receiving an email from plusnet informing me that an engineer would attend between 08.00 and 13.00 on 29.09.20 and that if I missed the appointment I would incur a charge of £65.00. I assume therefore that the reciprocal will occur as your engineer did not attend between those times, arriving instead at 16.10. when it was just by chance that I was back at home. Whilst I appreciate it is costly to you when clients miss appointments and some form of deterant is necessary, it is also costly to your clients when engineers do not attend at your quoted times, as we have to take unpaid time off work, and especially in this instance when work could not be carried out that afternoon and an other appointment needs to be booked. The engineer said that a cherry picker would be required to complete work (which obviously was not going to happen when they did not turn up until gone 4pm!) and after stating that one had been called for, the engineer left and didn't return!
Furthermore attempts to contact you by phone met with the message that ‘your company was busy, ring back tomorrow’.
I have made multiple attempts to contact you to rearrange another engineer and have again received the above message.

I am hoping that you can rectify this and arrange for an engineer to come out ASAP as I have arranged for my current broadband contact to end in order for me to switch to plusnet.
11 REPLIES 11
Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Engineer did not arrive on time

@SDS wrote:

I am hoping that you can rectify this and arrange for an engineer to come out ASAP as I have arranged for my current broadband contact to end in order for me to switch to plusnet.

Bad move. When switching ISP you should always let the gaining provider inform your current provider you are leaving. Potentially you will now have a cease charge applied to your account instead of a migration. It could also provide a world of agony for you with a line being cut off and there being no line for PN to take over. I'm not saying all PN led migrations are successful, but if you follow the way the system is supposed to work, you at least have some comeback if it goes Pete Tong!

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

@SDS I'm a little confused. You say you are 'switching from your current provider to Plusnet' and yet you expect PN to organise the engineer? AFAIK, that is the responsibility of your current provider. Unless of course you are switching from a provider who does not use the BT infrastructure - Virgin?

John
SDS
Hooked

Yes, I am switching from virgin to plusnet
jab1
Legend

Ah - that now makes sense. However, the engineers arrival time is not PNs fault - that is entirely down to BTOR.

Did the engineer do any work inside? If he did, and the only work needed for completion is external, it may not need you to take further time off work.

John
SDS
Hooked

If that is the case, who do I contact to arrange another engineer?

No, the engineer only looked at/tested the inside connection and then said that outside work needed doing for connection.
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Don't you have a ticket in the member centre?

Have you responded there?

jab1
Legend

You need to contact PN again - making sure that you advise them that the engineer called outside the time-slot you were given, and that he advised the need for a cherry-picker for outside work -presumably to run a cable from the nearest DP to your house.

Do you know if there is a cable on your house?

John
SDS
Hooked

I have submitted a ticket.

As I have seen staff active on here, I was hoping that posting on here would improve my chances of a response.
SDS
Hooked

I will keep trying to get through to them.

I am unsure if there is a cable to the house.
jab1
Legend

@SDS Staff response on here is very hit and miss at the moment.

There won't be a cable to the house - hence the need for a cherry-picker to install one - I was just wondering if the old drop-wire from your eaves to the BT box inside was still in place?

John
SDS
Hooked

I not sure about the old drop-wire, sorry!