Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice about moving to FTTP after previous failed install

FIXED
Markwallwork0
Grafter

Advice about moving to FTTP after previous failed install

Hi all looking for some advice I recently ordered fttp from Plusnet after leaving BT. BT cut me off 3 days early so I was without Vsdl for 3 days then on the day of installation of fttp the engineer said had stones blocking my duct near my house so he could fit the ONT but someone else would need to come and unblock the duct. Needless to say there was no eta on this so after much faffing about and 2 and half weeks of no service I finally got on SOGEA via Plusnet. 

I now have 70mb down and 20mb up but would still like to move to full fibre so not sure if anyone can answer 

1. if I order fttp will BT still have record of the blocked duct at my house and the fact the ont box is already done ? They won’t come to install a new ont and then rediscover the duct issue?

2. I presuming there will be a wait whilst they assess the work and work out how long to unblock the duct if I upgrade my order I won’t get cut off fttc and existing connection on upgrade date will I?

3 are they likely to damage my copper trying to unblock the duct?

id just go ahead now as I have the ONT but the hassle I’ve had in the last three weeks just getting back online is putting me off

any advice welcome

5 REPLIES 5
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 59

Re: Advice about moving to FTTP after previous failed install

@Markwallwork0 

Your best bet is to ask the PlusNet Customer Options Team on 0800 013 2632. Explain the situation and see what they say.

Brian

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 437

@Markwallwork0 I'd agree with @bmc, COTS would be the best option.

However, from my understanding,  I'll give you my best GUESS

1. if I order fttp will BT still have record of the blocked duct at my house and the fact the ont box is already done ? They won’t come to install a new ont and then rediscover the duct issue?

Whilst there will certainly be a record on OR's systems, they are often not good at transferring this information to new orders! As part of an FTTP install order, they will test for a functional ONT, but since yours isnt connected, it will fail and they are likely to assume a new one is required. In reality it won't make any difference, you still need an engineer to complete the install once the ducting is ok. It just means that the engineer will bring a new ONT and swap it.

2. I presuming there will be a wait whilst they assess the work and work out how long to unblock the duct if I upgrade my order I won’t get cut off fttc and existing connection on upgrade date will I?

Since this would now be an upgrade order, there SHOULD be no chance of the FTTC being cancelled before FTTP is installed.

3 are they likely to damage my copper trying to unblock the duct?

Now thata a $64000 question ? Its certainly possible. Is the copper in the same duct ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Markwallwork0
Grafter

Based on my experience of Plusnet customer service so far I would expect 6 contradictory answers dependent who picked up the phone . I was hoping someone on the forum might have a similar experience 

Markwallwork0
Grafter

Thanks for the answers yeah the copper is in the same duct. The last openreach engineer said it was blocked with stones right next to my house . I suspect the last fttp engineer pulled something as the guy had to fiddle around with the connection at the front to get my fttc to start working again. I think I’ll leave it. I can live with 70mb. Just have a pointless Ont box and cable on my house now 

dvorak
Fixes: 1,485

Fix

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Full Fibre to My Orders

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'