Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surprise Leaving Charge

Sleepboot
Grafter
Fixes: 2

Surprise Leaving Charge

In the past Plusnet told me that once you had paid for the final month of the contract you were free to go without penalty.

This appears to be no longer true.

My contract ends 27th April 2024  which happens to be a Saturday so I have arranged the transfer to Zen for Friday 26th. Much to my surprise Plusnet are levying a small early cancellation charge for the day. As I have already paid to the 27th I am very surprised.

As no transfers are possible at weekends if I had left it to the following Monday they would have levied an out of contract price charge for the 2 days.

This feels like sharp practice to me. Is it right?

2 REPLIES 2
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Re: Surprise Leaving Charge

At a guess you will be due a refund of the difference in price between when you migrate away and that you will have paid for.  As you are migrating away before the end of your contract your due to pay the Early Termination charges, which would be less that the amount your being refunded.

For example (using totally made up figures).

Your monthly fee is £30.

You're migrating away 29 days into your 30 day month, so due a refund of £1.

The ETC's for migrating before the end of your contract work out at 80p.

You'd owe Plusnet 80p and Plusnet owe you £1, so you'd end up with a 20p refund.

That would all reflect on your final bill which you'd get around 20 days (if I remember correctly) after you migrate away.

Just to reiterate these are totally made up figures to give you an example, not related to what yours may be.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Sleepboot
Grafter
Fixes: 2

Re: Surprise Leaving Charge

I hope that you are right.

At the moment in my "We're sorry to hear your leaving us" letter it simply says "because your moving your broadband and phone before the end of your minimum term you will be subject to early termination charges."

No mention of any refund although it does refer me to the terms & conditions of my contract.

The amount is trivial but they could easily handle this so much better.

PS this comes after them messing up the discount on my Anytime call package for the last month of the contract in exactly the same way that they did at the end of my last contract 2 years ago. The have promised me a cheque for the overcharge by the end of the week but I don't need the hassle.