cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Second name on account

plinky
Hooked

Second name on account

What's the problem with having two names on the account? The DD comes out of a joint account and correspondence emails come to my email address, but plusnet staff refuse to let me make any decisions on the account - making me have to go through my partner.

As a woman I find this quite degrading - having to get my partner to make financial decisions on my behalf. What's more, the staff at plusnet seem to use this to their advantage to confuse us both. I'm now signed up to a two year contract, the money for which will come out of my pocket, yet I've had no say in this ( obvie I only have a say when I'm setting up direct debits from my bank - the no account action rule doesn't apply when they want your money).

Really it's pretty disgraceful. My partner thinks he's added me but im only half added (though you're happy to take my money) and whenever we try and action anything on the account we go through this merry go round.
15 REPLIES 15
ScottStorey
Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Second name on account

The contract is in the name of the person that set up the account, in this case, your husband. It's reasonable that somebody who isn't party to the contract can't make material changes to it. I.e. you.

I'd go as far as saying they can't legally do anything without your partner's consent. Disappointing you felt the need to being gender into it as that clearly has nothing to do with it. If it was the other way round and the account was in your name with your husband as the second contact gender wouldn't have been brought up as an issue.

You could put any bank details in and as long as they are valid anyone can make payment. That doesn't mean they have a right to alter the contract.

Unfortunately there isn't an option to set up a joint contract, it can only be in one person's name.
plinky
Hooked

"Disappointing you felt the need to being gender into it as that clearly has nothing to do with it."

You can't see how having two men making decisions on an account you manage and pay for but are barred from taking any decisions on might just be a little bit offensive to a woman?

I've no doubt that there is some 'computer says no' reason for this, but in a gendered context it's pretty, well... urgh.
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

When I was with PN, I had them add my wife's name as an authorised person on account, so she could speak to Cust Service if necessary. I also had my Council Tax record amended by local council so that both our names now appear on billing. She could find this useful when she needs to provide proof of identity, when she wouldn't want to send in the post usual suspects ie Passport, D. Licence etc.
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Even with what @Gel says it would still only be the person with the contract that could make material changes (cancelling, changing product and such like).  No one else could regardless of gender or relationship to the contract holder, apart from in a very small number of situations (power of attorney, death), and even then specific rules would need to be followed and proof given.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

plinky
Hooked

Thanks PjMarsh. He's managed to add me to all the other accounts we share responsibility for, but plusnet haven't and won't let me deal with anything unless it's taking my money.
plinky
Hooked

This is amazing. I can't cancel the direct debit either.

Which ombudsman would it be in this case?
Kdog
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 9

The previous replies are pretty much spot on. It's nothing to do with gender, more the legalities of the contract. The contract was agreed with your husband, so the account is in his name. Any material changes or anything that could lead to extra charges has to be cleared with him because if anything ever went wrong with the payments for example, he alone would be liable not you. Having you as a second name means you can talk about the account and be told account information as long as you can clear the dpa rules but that's it.

As for the direct debit, you can't alter it on the account but there's nothing stopping you from doing it at the bank.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I appreciate your point about joint accounts but you can make any changes to the account which don't require a phone call just by logging into the account (as long as you know the username and password)

This would include changes to the payment method

As far as I am aware the only thing you can't do on line is getting a new deal via the customer options team and arranging a house move

Now all the above isn't strictly legal but as there isn't a check who would know.
It is a bit like me logging into my better half's bank account and making changes including setting up a new payee where the only thing which could cause a problem is if the bank suspected fraud and then a phone call with the fraud department would be needed

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Yes I can see the OP's frustration.

PlusNet have got to protect themselves, of course and not making unauthorised changes to your account to someone pretending to be the account holder or related to them.

I don't know if PlusNet's systems support this, but what they need is the ability for the account holder to add you as an authorised person to make decisions on the account too. The request will need to come from them, then you have access and PlusNet are happy that any changes you request are legitimate.

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

they can but not for cost related items unless you set up Power of Attorney I believe

I tried to get my wife to have full account access and failed from memory

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

Why not make a 'joint and several' contract available for couples who want it?

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Ah yes Jim I was actually thinking of Power Of Attorney.

I don't know how PlusNet Business accounts work but with other companies you have a select few number of people they will talk to and be allowed to make decisions.

Otherwise if it is work related account it can't just be a single person responsible. What if that person is on a fortnight's annual leave or off sick, etc.

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 96

Hello @plinky

We can add a second name onto the account as an authorised user, which has to be requested by the account holder.  Once the name has been added to the account we will then confirm security with the authorised user, and deal with all queries excluding the following;

• An authorised user is not permitted to add another authorised user.
  • An authorised user is not permitted to raise a broadband or phone fault which requires an engineer appointment (this is because acceptance of the engineer charging statement is required)
  • An authorised user is not permitted to amend the account password
  • An authorised user is not permitted make any changes which will extend, decrease or cancel the contract

The exceptions above no longer apply when power of attorney has been register to us, as this will allow you same access as the account holder.

Please get back to us if you have any further questions. Smiley

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
ask66
Dabbler

As other posters have suggested, it's silly to link this to gender (or race, eye colour, postcode, etc etc).  Our Plusnet service is in my wife's name but it's me who sorts out the contract renewals.  It certainly is a nuisance to have to call her over to the phone to agree to a new contract - she isn't at all interested, and always makes that clear to the staff.  I'm tempted to impersonate her - but I'm not sure I could do a good female voice.  But I guess I don't need to bother - I could just keep the same voice but claim to be my wife.  Plusnet would 'know' it was me, but they couldn't do anything about it - you can't discriminate against customers because of their voice!  I haven't plucked up the courage to try it yet though.

It's worth noting that contracts can be renewed via webchat - I did it just the other day.  With my wife sitting next to me and telling me what to type, of course!