Renewing FTTC contract WITH Telephone

FIXED
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Re: Renewing FTTC contract WITH Telephone

Fix

@Sleepboot wrote:

I have been considering Zen as the simple answer to many problems.

Indeed, that's why I decided at the end of my contract last June to future-proof things now, and migrate to Zen with FTTC and Digital Voice. No faffing around with third party VOIP, and everything in place before Dec 2025.

The broadband itself might be regarded as a tad expensive at £30, but that's almost balanced with no line rental, and Digital Voice at £6 with 1000 inclusive minutes, including mobiles, so no additional call plan required.

And no mid-contract price hikes!

As mentioned up the thread, the FRITZ!Box is better than the usual ISP-supplied router, and even includes an integral DECT base, though I don't really need that, as with the FON app I can answer incoming calls on my mobile anywhere within the router's WiFi range.

I seem to remember that it wasn't obvious on the website that FTTC + Digital Voice was an option - it doesn't have to be full fibre.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
mechanic123
Aspiring Pro

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

@mechanic123 that arcticle is well out of date now! The NoT transfer process has been replaced with the One-touch-Switch process. https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2021/09/ofcom-finalise-one-touch-switching-for-uk-broadband-an...

It SHOULD have been implemented in April last year but is delayed and expected to be implemented soon...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@mechanic123  An article from 2015! Somewhat out of date I would say. OK the Gaining provider led  system is basically the same but migrations from FTTC to FTTP  (on the Openreach network) are now possible and the (fairly) recently introduced 30 day right to port is vital for anyone wanting to transfer their PSTN number to VOIP.

It's all going to change anyway, the One Touch Switching system will allow migration between a much wider range of Broadband and telecoms suppliers on different networks. According to TOTSCo, the company implementing it say on their website that "the go-live date will be announced shortly"

Don't hold your breath, the whole project has had many problems and delays since it started a couple of years ago.

Edit: @MisterW  has beaten me to it, but I did type a longer response.😁

mechanic123
Aspiring Pro

@MisterW Ooops! thanks for picking that up, entirely my fault for assuming an article on the face of ISPreview would be up to date!

Tiggy22
Hooked

I am in a similar position to you. My FTTP+phone PN contract expires at the end of April.

I am in my 80’s and I want to keep things simple with minimal cost for extras. I am seriously looking at moving to Vodafone broadband + digital voice, £25pm (vouchers or cash back can effectively reduce this for new customers); any time calls to UK numbers £8pm extra. Their website says “We'll send you any new equipment you need. This will include an adapter to plug your phone into your router, and a new router….”.

I appreciate that VF’s service is not as good as PN or Zen:

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/telecoms-and-pay-tv-compl...

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/poll/2023/how-do-you-rate-your-broadband-provider--november-2023/

Does this help?

Sleepboot
Grafter
Fixes: 2

Just to add the latest position.

I contacted Plusnet retentions this morning 31st March to give them an opportunty to make a better offer than they included in my coming to end of contract email - and perhaps to offer the same price as Vodafone. The offer included continuing my existing phone service for 18 months.

In fact they said that they no longer price match and that the offer of continuing my existing phone service was no longer available and they would transfer all my business to a new BT contract. The Anytime call package would be an add on at £18 per month and that any price agreed today would automatically go up tomorrow!

Are they trying to loose customers?

I will be speaking to Zen (who now include the Fritz!box 7530 AX wifi 6 router) this afternoon.

pvmb
Aspiring Pro

I just checked with Zen, out of general interest.

"Unfortunately, we've not been able to find any online products for your address. Please call to check with our Sales Team on 01706 902912."

And I am NOT living in the sticks.

So...

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

@pvmb 

Looks like there may be an address problem on the OpenReach database. Use the following to check

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Start with the phone version, then check the address version (entering your post code only and selecting your address from the drop down list).

Brian

pvmb
Aspiring Pro

...???

I know the BT/Openworld status for my address - obviously. How does that help with Zen?

bmc
Hero

@pvmb 

Most ISP's use the OR database to run availability checks - if it says no service, then no orders can be placed with OR.

Brian

pvmb
Aspiring Pro

...So I am not on broadband at home?

Must say, that comes as a bit of a surprise. 😊

Sleepboot
Grafter

As I understand it FTTC customers of most ISP's (Including BT, Plusnet, Zen etc) use the Openreach system lines.

We can have the same problem that you descibe caused by the fact that or address appears twice on the list - once with our house name included and again without. Whilst the Openreach list shows the same availability for both some ISP's differentiate between them.

bmc
Hero

@pvmb 

I'm simply saying it's worth a check to see if something's not correct which might be messing with the availability checker for ISP's.

Brian

pvmb
Aspiring Pro

...Nope.

It seems to just be an issue with Zen. As a test I asked for a broadband quote from Vodafone. Got two without any difficulty.