cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Process to switch provider and keep email

mikesierra

Process to switch provider and keep email

I have read the community threads regarding retaining emails when leaving Plusnet (I need time to migrate a couple of addresses), however I'm wondering what order of process I need to follow to switch and retain email.  Initiate the switch with the new provider and then contact Plusnet, or contact Plusnet to add a note to my account and then sign up with new provider?

It would seem that after about 18 years our time with Plusnet is coming to an end, which is kind of shame considering that we've had no complaints about the speed and stability of our internet connection in all of that time.  Our contract came to an end a couple of months ago, and in these times of increasing bills and and uncertainty it makes sense to review outgoings and look for the best deals available.  Until the latter part of last year we had a package including broadband, phone and YouView TV, but with that service discontinued Plusnet has lost some of its USP.  I know that currently we could switch and get a fast fibre service with other providers for less than 50% of our current tariff.

My experience of trying to find out whether we could stay put with Plusnet this evening was less than ideal.  When I phoned I was offered a renewal 'deal' £8/month more than the offers section of the portal, then one that was still £5/month more!  Ignoring the fact that I wasted 20 mins holding on the phone for somebody to pull seemingly random numbers out of the air, the honest and open explanation of what might be available to me as a long term existing customer didn't materialise.  I can't say I'm a fan of the wheeler dealer negotiating approach!

2 REPLIES 2
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

Re: Process to switch provider and keep email

@mikesierra Can't help with retaining your phone and broadband service, but if you decide to move, read the  post on this topic from @Townman : https://community.plus.net/t5/Email/leaving-and-email/m-p/1859204#M38966

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Re: Process to switch provider and keep email

@mikesierra wrote:

Ignoring the fact that I wasted 20 mins holding on the phone for somebody to pull seemingly random numbers out of the air, the honest and open explanation of what might be available to me as a long term existing customer didn't materialise.  I can't say I'm a fan of the wheeler dealer negotiating approach!

I do not disagree, but that is the nature of most things these days (aside for electricity prices!).  Everything is negotiable!

You need to be armed with a range of prices from alternative suppliers and then ask "What will you do to keep me as a valued customer...?".  I have never been disappointed with the result for such an approach.  Some of the renewal agents are harder to crack than others.  If I have not liked their offer, I politely say "I will need to reflect on that" and then ring back a few days later when invariably I get a better deal.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.