cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PN activation charges

Reddog
Grafter

PN activation charges

Hi, My son has just moved into a new home and i told him i would use refer a friend and get him set up with Plusnet. He wanted just Unlimited Fibre and a weekend and evening calls package and it said it would cost him 27.99 but today it is saying he has to pay a 50 quid activation charge on top meaning it'll be 77.99 quid. Since when did PN start charging for a BT engineer to activate the line on a new contract? If the line is broken to the address i don't get why he has to pay for that. Maybe things have changed @PN but he's had cheaper offers from other companies which is a shame because he wanted Plusnet. I thought you only got billed if you had caused the damage. Just to let you know others have said they'd waiver that fee so you'd be losing out on a customer to one of your rivals. Sad Sad
6 REPLIES 6
Satss
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 37

Re: PN activation charges

Hi Reddog, thanks for getting in touch.The standard charge for an new line installation is £49.99 (which subsidizes the cost for the engineer needed to install the line) and this has always been applicable to new and existing customers if required. I am sorry for any disappointment caused to yourself and your son.

Whilst we are unable to waive the installation fee we can look at providing you with an alternative monthly cost - potentially even matching a more attractive offer you've seen elsewhere.

If this is something you would like to consider I can arrange for one of our Customer Options advisors to give your son a call to discuss this.Please feel free to PM me your son's name, telephone number and his availability for this call tomorrow or later on in the week.

Kind Regards,

Reddog
Grafter

If you could spread the cost over some months then that would be fine. £78 is a bit too much for him to pay all at once since he has a new baby to pay for and he's really got his heart set on getting PN.

I'll inform him tomorrow and will PM his phone number and stuff over tomorrow since it's a bit late now.

Thanks for the reply.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,484

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to My Account / Billing

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Dumbledore
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 34

Hello @Reddog

I am afraid there is no option for us to spread the costs of the upfront payment.

The installation charges are forwarded for our suppliers Openreach to book out an Engineer to carry out the necessary work that is required to install a service into the premises.

I do apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Should you require any further assistance, please do get back in touch with us.

Best wishes.

Reddog
Grafter

@Dumbledore  well then if that is true then PN just lost a potential long term customer.

TT are offering an 18 month contract for 40/10 internet @ his new address for only 19.95 a month with a free visit from the engineer.

PN wants a fee of nearly 80 pounds for that same 40/10 line install and 27.99 monthly after that.

Both offer same speed PN can't compete with that price. Which is a shame because he REALLY REALLY wanted PN. Shame.

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

My son has just moved into a new home

If it's a new build, then TT may possibly also add an installation charge once they realise. The reason for my thinking that is because:

The standard charge for an new line installation is £49.99

and

The installation charges are forwarded for our suppliers Openreach to book out an Engineer to carry out the necessary work that is required to install a service into the premises.

Though, if it's already connected, then as TT have said they aren't charging, then it sounds like the previous owner was also on LLU.

It does cost any provider switching from BT to LLU or from LLU to BT as an engineer has to physically attend the exchange to switch it from one to the other. Some providers may take that fee 'on the chin' whereas others will pass this cost on to us.

The above could well be why one is charging and the other isn't.