Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ofcom Rules Breach

Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: Ofcom Rules Breach

I agree, your current contract period should be specifically stated within your PN Account profile; in past I've always had to contact PN Cus Serv to determine date, which is a pain.
And if on phone + broadband I assume you may well have two different termination dates to further confuse Smiley

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

I can see that your account received the notification from your new provider, however it did fail to generate an automated email. All I can do is apologise for this. Sometimes, things can slip through the system. In regards to your contract, I can't see any contact on the account from yourself to query the expiry date (22/06/16).

As per my previous post, our billing team will issue any due refunds and close the account as per Ticket 126085146 once the payment has cleared via the direct debit

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
geoffa
Grafter

@Anoush

Nowhere did I state that I had raised a query regarding my contract end date. I said there was no reference to it in my account details, which there is not. I guess this is just another example of Plusnet's dysfunctional IT systems.

I will therefore ask the question directly of you - please could you tell me my contract expiry date?

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

As per my post above, your contract expiry date is 22/06/16.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
geoffa
Grafter

Apologies, I had missed that. However my original comment still stands. I do not expect to be charged 1 month's early termination as Plusnet did not advise me of the fact in advance of the migration. I would appreciate it if you would ensure that this is passed to the billing team.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

I've added your feedback to the ticket now for our billing team to review once it is picked up after the balance is cleared.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 161

@Anoush,

Out of what you have identified, what actions will you now take to ensure that in future Plusnet is compliant with the Ofcom rules...

1. Ensure that termination communications are sent without failure?

2. Ensure that such communications are also sent BY LETTER (I observe that this is not so different to PlusNet's expectations on customers - phone up or communicate IN WRITING to terminate service - email being deemed unacceptable)?

3. Ensure that a user's contract termination date is readily available through their account details?

Who owns compliance with these requirements within PlusNet?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

I didn't get anything from Plusnet prior to broadband migrating away, but when the phone order was placed (after broadband had already moved) I got an immediate notification from Plusnet starting off "Another service provider has told us that you're moving your broadband and phone service away from Plusnetand going on to explain the process and safeguards.   I don't know if that helps you to see where the issues in your processes lie.

Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

@Townman wrote:

@Anoush,

Out of what you have identified, what actions will you now take to ensure that in future Plusnet is compliant with the Ofcom rules...

2. Ensure that such communications are also sent BY LETTER (I observe that this is not so different to PlusNet's expectations on customers - phone up or communicate IN WRITING to terminate service - email being deemed unacceptable)?

3. Ensure that a user's contract termination date is readily available through their account details?

They will do nothing. I have had no email, no letter and have had to rely on a previous ticket giving my contract end date so I knew when to apply to my new provider. As it is all gaining ISP lead, I can only assume that PN have been told as I have received my new welcome pack today. My DD will be cancelled, I am not waiting for them to try and work it out.

geoffa
Grafter

As I started this thread I thought a quick update was in order. At the end of last week I received the following response to the ticket which had been raised:-

Thank you for your recent contact. We have had an error in our system which has resulted in some customers not being sent the leaving notice which includes an explanation of any final fees that may be applicable. Due to this we will waive any cancellation fees on your account including cease fee and any remaining contract fees. I am sorry for any inconvenience caused by this. There is currently a Direct Debit processing on your account. We are unable to work the final fees/refund on your account until this transaction has either processed or failed. As soon as this processes or fails we will work your final fees/refund which will include a refund of any over payment of subscription charges. I hope this response resolves any issues you have had. But please do not hesitate to get back in touch online at http://contactus.plus.net or by phone on 0800 432 0200 or 0345 140 0200 if we can be of further assistance. Kind regards,

So the DD has been taken and the question is on hold until Monday, presumably so it is showing in Plusnet's systems. At that point I should be refunded and the account closed. We will see!

geoffa
Grafter

Just received the final notification regarding this sorry tale as follows:-

Thank you for your recent contact, I have worked the final fees on your account and can see that you did not receive the notification on your account when you agreed your switch to your new provider, as such we have waived the final month of your contract as a gesture of goodwill. On the 27th May our servers refunded £21.58 to your account, this could take up to 14 working days to appear in your account, there is no further refunds due on the account. Once again I can only apologise that you did not receive the notification when migrating as highlighted by my colleague, it is a problem that we are working to fix. Thank you for your custom over the year, I can confirm that your account has been cancelled down in full and there is no further action required from yourself.

I can confirm that the refund has been credited to my bank account, so that's me completely finished with Plusnet.

Cheerio

ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

@Townman wrote:

@Anoush,

Who owns compliance with these requirements within PlusNet?

PN are you going to have the courtesy at all, to respond to the above very valid post?

Regards
Mike

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I'm sorry but they are not questions for Anoush to answer, nor one that we'll likely answer here.

We have a compliance team who ensure we adhere to Ofcom guidelines. I'm sorry that in this instance it didn't occur correctly, but that doesn't mean there is an inherent underlying issue.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 161

@Chris,

I think you've missed the context here - my question of @Anoush was what action would they take to ensure... Would / would not happen in future.

Sounds like the answer is that they have brought the matter to the attention of the business compliance team.  If that is the case, then the question has been well answered.  Thank you - hopefully there will now be no further reports of this failure in future.