Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leaving Plusnet

FIXED
wgmacnab
Dabbler

Leaving Plusnet

I have had so many problems lately, with no landline and virtually no Internet for days on end, that I am reluctantly looking at other ISPs. I am tired of 'talking' to chatbots, and I find it difficult to find the information I need on the website.

I have eight months left of an 18 month contract - can anyone tell me how much roughly I would expect to pay in early exit fees? Or, as I am not getting the service advertised, if I would not be charged?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts

Regards, Will

17 REPLIES 17
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 259

Re: Leaving Plusnet

Have you reported these problems? Can you be more specific? The chances are that these issues are down to OpenReach infrastructure, and they will follow you to another supplier, unless you are on FTTP and can find an altnet.

As to the cost of terminating your contract early, multiply your monthly invoice by the number of month remaining, this will give you a rough idea, although there could be a slight reduction due to 'savings' made by PN, but these will not be significant.

John
Longliner
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Our sympathies, Will, but as John says the problems may well be down to Openreach. You say you have no landline, does that mean you have fibre to your home? Or do you have the older copper network, perhaps fibre to the cabinet (FTTC) ?

Please let us have details of your contract, is it 40/10, 80/20 or similar so the community can advise you. John's point is that Plusnet or any ISP supplies your internet connection from your router to the master socket, which is the property of Openreach, as is the ongoing connection via overhead or underground ducts from master socket to the 'exchange'. This is why your problems will persist even if you change ISP.

If you have no landline as you say, then it certainly is the responsibility of Openreach. Of course you can't contact them yourself, you have to go through Pnet, they in turn will contact OR who will deal with the matter in their own good time. 

Mike

wgmacnab
Dabbler

Hi John, thank you so much for taking the time to reply to my post. 

I was just frustrated about the loss of 'communications', but as the problem is almost certainly with my (ancient) landline and wiring I have decided it's time to go landline-free! I rarely use it anyway, and I believe they are being phased out in any case. 

As I have been with Plusnet for many years (and my mobile) I will talk to them about the options and hopefully stay with them.

Thanks again, best wishes, Will

wgmacnab
Dabbler

Hi Mike, thank you so much for taking the time to reply to my post. 

The problems have always been with the landline, I live in a very old building and one engineer thought it could be faulty wiring from outside. But as I rarely use it anyway, and their days are numbered, I think it's time to say goodbye to landlines!

I have been with Plusnet with many years and would like to stay, so I will contact them for options.

Thank you again, regards, Will

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 259

Fix

Will. Unless you can get Full Fibre - with Plusnet or some other (non-Openreach), provider, you need to eliminate the cause of the poor performance.

If you are having difficulties getting understandable responses direct from PN, there are a number of very experienced Community members who can help, but it does mean supplying information you may be asked for, and following the guidance offered.

John
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 51

@wgmacnab 

Can you put your phone number into the following and post a screen image ot the results (hiding your personal details). This will help members to give advice. Include the narrative below the results window.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

As mentioned, if it's a problem with the copper wire then changing ISP's will not improve matters. This needs to be fixed before you think about moving.

Brian

wgmacnab
Dabbler

Hi John, thank you for that. I appreciate your expertise and I am about to phone Plusnet. Thanks again, regards

wgmacnab
Dabbler

Thanks, Brian, I will do that. But I have decided to go landline free, and hopefully stay with Plusnet as I have been with them for many years. Regards, Will

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@wgmacnab  As @jab1 has already stated, Plusnet will not be able to offer a service without a landline unless Openreach FTTP (Full Fibre) is available to you, all other products require a copper line to your property, and Plusnet no longer supply any mobile deals in case you are thinking of a mobile broadband service.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 51

@wgmacnab 

Just to ensure clarity, you can get FTTC without a phone service from PN but the land line is still used (from the cabinet to your property). For FTTC the product is called SOGEA.

Brian

wgmacnab
Dabbler

Thanks Brian, I'll have a chat with the folks at Plusnet. Regards, Will

wgmacnab
Dabbler

Thanks so much for the message, my current package is 'unlimited fibre', so I'm presuming (hoping!) I can go landline free!

Best wishes, Will

Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

@wgmacnab 

If the problem is old flaky wiring in your building or between the building and the FTTC street cabinet then sticking with FTTC but dropping the landline phone service is not going to improve your Internet connection.

If available you need to upgrade from fibre extra, which is FTTC to full fibre.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Longliner
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Will: as John says, 

If you are having difficulties getting understandable responses direct from PN, there are a number of very experienced Community members who can help, but it does mean supplying information you may be asked for, and following the guidance offered.

For myself, I still don't know what package you are on. This is why I asked whether you are 40/10, 80/20 or whatever. You mention you are on 'unltd fibre' but that may mean fibre to the cabinet and copper landline to your home, or fibre all the way to your home. If you want help soon, please review earlier postings and answer the questions posed by members of the forum, or continue to pursue Plusnet until you resolve your problems. 

Mike