cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone paid their bill & then another £1.01 charged - EDIT - It wasn't

HerIndoors

Re: Has anyone paid their bill & then another £1.01 charged (stolen) seperatly by PN

Hi TORPC,
You’re not alone.
The same thing happened to me after I added my debit card back in Dec. £1.01 debited the same day the card was added. No bill, no explanation.
When I queried it, CS at first denied it was Plusnet and said I must be mistaken. (That really set alarm bells ringing.) It was only after I provided a screenshot of my card payments showing the debit to Plusnet PLC that they then told me it was down to the “Billing Engine” and shouldn’t be happening. That was all the explanation I got. I was told to provide a bank statement and the money would then be refunded.
Had I been told in advance that adding my card would trigger this, I wouldn’t have been bothered by it. As there was no advance warning, and considering what had once happened to my son with an online company - a small debit followed by a much bigger one, both fraudulent - I was naturally concerned.
So TORPC, you’re not such an “isolated “case after all. Indeed, I find it very odd that out of 780,000+ customers we are the only two to have this happen.
I think if Plusnet really needs to do this “testing“, (and they are the only company I’ve ever used to do it), then they should at least warn customers about it beforehand. I don’t think that’s much to ask.
HerIndoors.
Please excuse any forum mistakes as I'm new here.
picbits
Rising Star

Re: Has anyone paid their bill & then another £1.01 charged (stolen) seperatly by PN

Quote from: HerIndoors
I find it very odd that out of 780,000+ customers we are the only two to have this happen.

Welcome to the Forum.
It could just be that the majority of members don't use the forum or don't check their bills as fervently as we do Wink
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Are you both (HerIndoors & TORPC) with the same bank? Mind sharing which one it is?
TORPC
Grafter

@HerIndoors
Thank you for your valued input (which restores my faith that I am not alone and not as isolated as PlusNet would like me to think I am)
That also constitutes for PlusNet insulting my intelligence & the full facts of the matter (which is out of order)
Therefore it now seems very unlikely that it is a Bank / Building Society / Post office etc account issue
And is looking more likely to be  on PlusNets side
Not advising 780. 000+ customer base of this temoray charge that could be seen on their statmenrs & then Using typical stall tactics and not prepared to do a full audit is way out of order and PlusNet is quickly loosing my faith in them
And if it a full audit and investigation is not done in a timely manner then I wonder what the Press / Ombudsman, Trading Standards etc will have to say ?Huh
I can confirm that I have just come off the phone to my bank & PlusNet can check my phone records to verify
I was informed that the holding payment is just that and should never be (touched / authorised by any company (some companies holding charge is as little as £0.01p))
He went through my account & seen the payment had gone out, checked the system & verified that PlusNet had indeed authorised the £1.01 on their end however was unable to tell me if it was by machine or human error.
He also said that if PlusNet is not going to investigate this issue to prevent it happening to myself & now clearly other(s) then I must, step 1 I inform Trading Standards, step 2 Inform my banks fraud team, which will then prosecute if they deem it fit to do so.
HerIndoors

Quote from: DomS
Quote from: HerIndoors
I find it very odd that out of 780,000+ customers we are the only two to have this happen.

Welcome to the Forum.
It could just be that the majority of members don't use the forum or don't check their bills as fervently as we do Wink

Hello DomS
Thank you for the welcome. 🙂
I think you’ve hit the nail on the head there.
Quote from: Jaggies
Are you both (HerIndoors & TORPC) with the same bank? Mind sharing which one it is?

Hello Jaggies,
I wouldn’t give that kind of info on an open forum. Sorry about that. (You tell who you work for. :-))
Quote from: TORPC
@HerIndoors
Thank you for your valued input (which restores my faith that I am not alone and not as isolated as PlusNet would like me to think I am)
That also constitutes for PlusNet insulting my intelligence & the full facts of the matter (which is out of order)
Therefore it now seems very unlikely that it is a Bank / Building Society / Post office etc account issue
And is looking more likely to be  on PlusNets side
Not advising 780. 000+ customer base of this temoray charge that could be seen on their statmenrs & then Using typical stall tactics and not prepared to do a full audit is way out of order and PlusNet is quickly loosing my faith in them
And if it a full audit and investigation is not done in a timely manner then I wonder what the Press / Ombudsman, Trading Standards etc will have to say ?Huh
I can confirm that I have just come off the phone to my bank & PlusNet can check my phone records to verify
I was informed that the holding payment is just that and should never be (touched / authorised by any company (some companies holding charge is as little as £0.01p))
He went through my account & seen the payment had gone out, checked the system & verified that PlusNet had indeed authorised the £1.01 on their end however was unable to tell me if it was by machine or human error.
He also said that if PlusNet is not going to investigate this issue to prevent it happening to myself & now clearly other(s) then I must, step 1 I inform Trading Standards, step 2 Inform my banks fraud team, which will then prosecute if they deem it fit to do so.

Hello TORPC,
I understand your confusion. Reading some of the answers you’ve had on this thread has confused me, too.
First it’s a test, and then it’s just an isolated incident affecting only you. (Except it affected me also).
I really don’t know what to say…
The response I got was that it was something with the billing engine that had been seen before. And that it shouldn’t be happening. I took that to mean an outdated/defunct process that now and then sprang back to life.
But that was just my take on it.
After this I did ask to have my card details removed from my payment methods, but was told this was only possible if everything on my account was deleted and a new DD set up. Being close to a billing date, I was told that someone would ring me after the Christmas holidays to set this up.
As I’d already had several weeks of raising tickets to get an over-payment for a calls package sorted, and again for another over-payment that should have been a refund, (Feb has been my first correct bill!), I was really reluctant to start everything over again. So when no one rang me about it, I decided my easiest option was to get the sledgehammer out and cancel the card.
After that I considered my blood pressure and let it go.
Maybe you should do the same? I doubt you’ll get anywhere with it. But kudos for trying.
HerIndoors.

TORPC
Grafter

That is what PlusNet wants us to do, is to give in & do what they like so they can get away with it, all without fuss
They also admit that this is a issue that Has been seen before
They have also admitted they will Not investigate it
Therefore how can the make out that It is an isolated issue
Surely an isolated issue means it is / has only affected 1 account ?Huh
PlusNet has clearly not stated to date If the issue(s) are fixed or not
Even my Bank says that PlusNet needs to investigate this known issue & to inform both Trading Standards and their Fraud Team if they refuse to do so
we are only 2 members out of a 7800, 000 customer base that has reported via the forums that I am aware of to date
How many more is there that has so rightly been mentioned
Quote from: DomS

If we Do Not I repeat, If we Do Not get this nipped in the bud & if it were to be a continuance month after month, year after year
£1.01 x 12 = £12.12 per year per each affected account that is gaining interest in PlusNets pockets and not ours also
£2.02 x 12 = £24.24 per year per 2 affected accounts (can anyone see twhat is happening here)  
Plus for some on low incomes that could be indicative, of extra costs incurred, due to insufficient funds to pay their other DD's  especially when people like myself & Devonian that only put into the DD account the exact amount needed on a monthly basis
Quote from: Devonian
<snip>
Like yourself TORPC I have a basic account that I transfer money into each month for my bills to be taken from.
<snip>

However my last bill was not paid by DD, as it was paid by the (You are currently paying your subscription by credit/debit card.) option, therefore PlusNets servers being funny due to my preferred payment method  & then took a secondary payment of that £1.01 that we know of.

Quote from: Chris
Hi TORPC,
I've had a word with the guys internally on this and we've looked back across accounts that could potentially be affected by this and we've not identified any other accounts affected. We've investigated as much as we can on our side and it appears to be isolated to just one instance.
It's a very difficult one as we aren't able to tell if this is a Plusnet issue or something on your banks side. I'd be inclined to have a word with the bank as if the funds have been reserved, it's their responsibility to ensure those funds are not released.
If you notice the problem re-occurs though, please let us know ASAP and I can get this looked at again.
Really sorry for the inconvenience.

Please see bold points from your statement
Please read posts after your post for update
1. There is more than 1 person / account affected (Therefore not an isolated situation) is it ?Huh
2. I have spoken to my bank (Please read their response)
3. That would be after the horse had bolted (would it not)
4. Are PlusNet going to admit fault fess up and fix all their known issues that for many that are in excess of 2 years old ?Huh
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

1. There is more than 1 person / account affected (Therefore not an isolated situation) is it ?Huh

I wasn't aware this was affecting more than 1 person. I'm going to open an internal problem for investigation further (79554), however you may not hear back about the results or fix of this issue.
2. I have spoken to my bank (Please read their response)

Thanks for confirming this isn't an issue with your bank.
3. That would be after the horse had bolted (would it not)

The more examples/information we have the quicker and easier it is to investigate and resolve.
4. Are PlusNet going to admit fault fess up and fix all their known issues that for many that are in excess of 2 years old ?Huh

Like every business that uses technology we have a list of open bugs, some of these are customer affecting some aren't. Some are higher priority than others. Some only affect a very small number of customers so are going to be prioritised lower than others. If we have an issue or a fault we will admit it, as we have here and elsewhere on the forum, this is more than some other companies I've seen do.
£1.01 x 12 = £12.12 per year per each affected account that is gaining interest in PlusNets pockets and not ours also
£2.02 x 12 = £24.24 per year per 2 affected accounts (can anyone see twhat is happening here)  

A pre-auth is only performed when a card is added to an account, IIRC around 90% of the customer base pay by direct debit so the numbers you've quoted are incorrect.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
TORPC
Grafter

That clarifies quite a lot,
So what you are saying is
That now I have entered my card details into the no DD section, it has & only will be authorised 1 x & 1 x only,
Therefore in that case it is very unlikely that the Pre-Auth would be activated again on that very card & even more unlikely that the same issue would arise on the same card in future payment(s)
That said my calculations were as have been stated on a continuance of the horse bolting, thus not being incorrect, in the unlikely event if it were the case.
Chris
Legend

Yes, my understanding is a pre-auth amount is only taken the first time a card is added to an account. If that card is then removed and a different card added, a pre-auth should happen on the new card.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
TORPC
Grafter

I will still keep my eye on my bill next month in case that highly unlikely event rears it's head from the woodwork
TORPC
Grafter

Cheers Chris for escalating this
I have had a response on my ticket Smiley
[Name Removed]- CSC Analyst
8:11am, Thursday 13 Feb 2014
Dear Mr Sir,
Thank you for getting back to us.
I can see that Chris has now opened a problem for investigation on this issue and has answered some more of your concerns via our community forum in the time since your reply was received.
We will of course investigate the problem that Chris has raised however you may not hear any feedback from this.
Please do let us know if you should have any further questions.
We're happy to help if you have any further questions, you can reply to this ticket or call us 24/7 on 0800 432 0200.
If this ticket is resolved then there is no need to reply, this will automatically close after 14 days.
Kind regards,
[Name Removed]
TORPC
Grafter

Just had official word that the details of the investigation will be updated on here
[Name Removed] - BOT - DSL Logged Faults
11:08am, Saturday 15 Feb 2014
Dear Sir,
Thank you for your query.
All details on this open problem and its investigation will be updated on the open forum post regarding this. You can keep track on this here (http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php?topic=123278.32)
Please do not hesitate to get back in touch online at http://contactus.plus.net or by phone on 0800 432 0200 or 0345 140 0200 if we can be of further assistance.
Kind regards,
[Name Removed]
Chris
Legend

Sorry but that's just an agent response to a ticket, what I said in this thread earlier still stands that you might not hear anything back about this.,
TORPC
Grafter

Cheers Chris
For the Extra Confusion & contradicting of other member(s) of PlusNet Staff
&
The obvious Left Hand Does Not Know What the Other Is Doing
Or
Just want to be a typical PlusNet confuscious mood over this / these issue(s)
There has been much confusion to date (Please do not add to it)
It would be nice to get some feedback
For Example
What is causing or caused the issue(s) in the 1st instance
&
If / when it is or will be fixed to prevent it from happening again (in case those affected might for any reason need to change over card(s)
TORPC
Grafter

It has been 9 days since I was informed on the ticket #80883875
All details on this open problem and its investigation will be updated on the open forum post regarding this. You can keep track on this here (http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php?topic=123278.32)

Can you please find out what the status of the investigation is at ?? ?? ?Huh