cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disappearing payment details

TLM
Grafter

Disappearing payment details

I've recently had my credit card cancelled and replaced due to an alleged fraud attempt (not by me, of course), so I've had to update everywhere I use it for payments. I distinctly remember doing Plusnet, and in fact have the confirmation email to prove it, even citing the last four digits of my new card. I began to suspect something was amiss when I didn't get the expected payment confirmation for this month's bill - albeit not a failure notification either. What I did get this morning was an email stating that they notice I "don't have any payment details set up". I visited the account, and sure enough, NO payment details - either old or new. I've had to put them in again, despite getting confirmation the last time. The process was a little different this time, as my bank requested verification by a one time code, which they didn't before. But as I understand it, it's up to the bank when and if they do this, and they don't do it on every occasion. It doesn't explain why there was no record of my previous confirmed payment update.

11 REPLIES 11
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Disappearing payment details

Hi @TLM

I'm really sorry for the confusion.

Due to the way our systems work, if we can't take a payment through stored card details for one reason or another then we'd remove the card details, so the payment would then fail, if we don't do that then the failed payment basically never generates an outstanding balance in our systems. What's more odd is even that's not happened.

I've messaged a colleague in our billing team for a closer look and I'll provide an update as soon as I know more. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
TLM
Grafter

Thanks Gandalf, the card has only just been issued, so it was cutting it fine to register it with you in time for payment to be taken, but I DID remember to activate it first, and all the stuff you're supposed to do with a new card. It's concerning if payment nevertheless failed.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

It's certainly odd, I'll let you know when I know more.

In the meantime, have you thought about setting up a direct debit instead? Might make things run a little smoother.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@TLM

One of my billing team colleagues has looked into it and basically confirmed what I've said above^ plus it looks like you were a little too quick for our systems and re-entered card details before our system had a chance to generate the outstanding balance. Not your fault at all though. We've removed the details again and when we've emailed you to confirm the payment failure, you should be able to make a one off payment and then setup an ongoing payment method again.

Really sorry for the inconvenience.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
TLM
Grafter

/Sigh

I've looked at the account, and it now won't let me supply a new (or the same!) payment method.

Additionally, it won't let me view the record of payments I have made - error coming up on that.

So basically, despite providing a valid payment method, which you have deleted - twice - I now have to call you?

I still don't understand what went wrong with the card details I supplied in the first place. Can you confirm whether it has been declined, or what, because I need to know whether this is something I need to take up with the bank.

Otherwise we'll be going round in circles - I'll call you and offer the same card again, but if the bank is blocking it, we won't be any further forward.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@TLM

As I've mentioned above, please don't add a payment method yet. We need to first wait until the outstanding balance has been generated. Once that's been done you should then be able to add a payment method afterwards.

Unlike for direct debit failures, we can't see why a payment has been declined by card so all I can suggest is for you to contact your bank to see if they can try to figure out the reason.

With regards to viewing a history of your payments, what error do you get?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
TLM
Grafter

Good job! Not. 🙄

You've now apparently imposed restrictions on my service, of which the main symptom at present is inability to view my own account - the connection is being declined (exactly what happened last time there was any hitch with payment - immediate self-defeating sanctions with no grace period).

But out of interest, you (I mean the collective 'you' of Plusnet) have yet to inform me officially that ANY payment has failed. I can infer it, because of your emails that you don't have my payment details (the ones you keep erasing!)

But I held off trying to supply them a third time, because of what you said about letting it generate the outstanding balance. I now can't pay online OR update the payment method, even should I wish to. When are you going to sort this out? It's the second time it's happened to me, and I know I'm far from alone.

OK, as I type this, you have NOW decided to txt and email me saying you haven't received payment. I.e. AFTER you'd already imposed sanctions. And when you KNOW I'm not a willing defaulter, because I'd raised it with you first about the payment details not 'sticking'.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi @TLM

I'm sorry to see you're having browsing issues while in failed payment.

This isn't how the system's designed, as you should see a reminder page to pay your bill or bypass the interruption. However we are aware that the behaviour^ you've witnessed can happen occasionally we're investigating.

I've just removed the interruption for you now so you should be able to browse normally.

Again I would recommend setting up a direct debit as that'll make things run a lot smoother Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
TLM
Grafter

Thank you Gandalf, for removing the sanctions at least. I'm fully aware that is not how the system is supposed to work - but it's not a new problem - to me or Plusnet - that's why I'm pretty irked that it's allowed to persist when you've known about it for years. It's a real own goal when a bug in the handling of failed payments actually obstructs the customer taking remedial action - i.e. paying it!

FYI I was able to pay it manually using the very same card your system seems to take exception to, so there's no blanket block on the card.

I shouldn't have to relate my financial circumstances here really, but I don't have a regular income, so don't use direct debits for that reason.

The system won't let me try again to update the payment details (having just proved the card is valid and working) since it says I'm only allowed one change in 24 hours. It's interesting that it does recognize I have made a change in the last 24 hours, even though it has since been deleted (by Plusnet, not me).

jgb
Champion
Fixes: 22

@Gandalf 

I suffered exactly the same issues when my direct debit failed a few months ago (apparently since Plusnet had not tried to use it for so long due to very prolonged billing issues). Luckily, I could get it resolved quickly as I had a direct line to your Complaints Team who were dealing with the billing issues.

You say this happens occasionally but it should not happen at all especially as it has been reported previously on these forums and by other means (by me for instance !). It is just not good enough to have customers suffer because Plusnet have flaky and inadequate billing systems.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problem @TLM, I was just making a suggestion to setup a direct debit. You don't need to post anything private or sensitive publicly.  That's why I created a support ticket on your account you can view and reply to from Here. Smiley

I appreciate we've had this failed payment issue quite often in the past, but we're done a fair bit of work since then and the occasions that this crops up are relatively few I'd say. The reduced number of people reporting an issue goes to show.

For now though if you do have the issue again, all I can say is let us know by any means necessary, that's by phone on 0800 432 0200, message us on Facebook or Twitter or as you've done here on our Community Forums and we'll help. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet