cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Direct debit problems - who can I message in PlusNet?

FIXED
TheJayBee
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Direct debit problems - who can I message in PlusNet?

I recently did a check on the direct debits set up in my bank account.  I don’t like having old ones that are no longer used so I cancel them.

I found 2 direct debits for PlusNet - one that was active and one that hadn’t been used for months.  I cancelled the dormant one.  I then get an email from PlusNet saying there is no payment method set up on my account.  I check my PlusNet account and there is no payment method.  I check my bank account and the active direct debit is still set up.

What’s going on PlusNet?  Why have you removed the active direct debit from my account when I cancelled the dormant one?

I’ve cancelled the active direct debit that PlusNet seem to have removed and set up a new one.  Can someone confirm I have a direct debit set up on my account because the online system isn’t showing me anything.  I have a payment due in a few days.

5 REPLIES 5
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Direct debit problems - who can I message in PlusNet?

Fix

I’m not in the office atm but if we’ve emailed you advising there’s no payment method, that’s likely the case. If there’s no option for you to change your payment method at the bottom of this page > https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=mybillsandpayments then I suspect the ‘footer’ of the website is covering the button, so try zooming using your web browser’s controls. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
TheJayBee
Rising Star

Thanks Gandalf

TheJayBee
Rising Star

PlusNet didn’t take the direct debit so they are now saying my account is overdue.

Why are PlusNet making this so difficult?  All I did was cancel a dormant direct debit that PlusNet were no longer using.

flanzm
Pro
Fixes: 15

I suspect cancelling the dormant direct debit has cancelled all direct debits on the PlusNet side - it's probably forgotten about the old dd, set a new one up, and now sees the cancellation notice from your bank as not having a payment method in place. 

The PlusNet billing system is very temperamental - personally I would have left things well alone as this was probably asking for trouble sadly.  I always assume IT systems are not very well written and avoid cancelling direct debits - remember you are always protected by the direct debit guarantee from your bank.  As much as I like tidying up as well, I've learnt over the years it's just not worse the hassle.

TheJayBee
Rising Star

Sadly you are right flanzm.  I’ve been caught out by a dormant direct debit before which caused a lot of hassle so I try to keep on top of them.