cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Additional Call Charges

D1026

Additional Call Charges

I recently signed up to a new contract - Unlimited UK & Mobile. My latest bill shows "Additional Call Charges" off £17.50 which relates to a call to a landline on 31.12.22 at a cost of £17.50 (2hrs 41mins). All other calls were under 60mins and not charged. On the same day I had an email from Plusnet Support about credit threshold reminder. I had not previously heard about credit threshold and it was not mentioned to me when I signed up (by phone). Email states I have a credit threshold of £75.00, credit used is £17.50 and credit remaining is £57.50.  Sorry if I'm being a bit naive here but I'm confused . Should I have put the phone down before 60mins and called back to avoid this charge? At no time was I put through to Customer Services as suggested in the email. I have read other posts on this subject but remain confused and don't really understand what's going on here.  

4 REPLIES 4
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

Re: Additional Call Charges

Should I have put the phone down before 60mins and called back to avoid this charge?

Yes, calls become chargeable over 60 mins per call. See the tariff guide here https://www.plus.net/help/legal/residential-phone-tariffs/ . A normal landline is charged at 17.15p/min over the 60 so your charge would be 101 mins at 17.15p. Allow for any rounding to the nearest minute that will be the £17.50.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

D1026

Many thanks for your reply. Will call back before 60mins in future.

Roger.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@D1026 wrote:

At no time was I put through to Customer Services as suggested in the email. I have read other posts on this subject but remain confused and don't really understand what's going on here.  

That happens after the monthly credit limit is fully utilised.

Broadband and line rental are billed in advance and phone call charges are billed in arears.  There is a credit limit on all accounts for call charges, so as to limit the level of arears which might be built up ... out of events such as your own.

A one-hour kitchen timer set to 55 minutes works a treat!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

D1026

Thank you for your reply.

Roger.