cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Account pricing and annual increase on renewal

BlueEagle365
Grafter

Account pricing and annual increase on renewal

I renewed my PN broadband contract earlier this year shortly before the old one expired to remain on my package with everything included at the time. The renewal maintained the price of £25 per month, with an annual increase as per the T's & C's. However, I didn't ever pay that £25 as a couple of days after renewing an annual increase kicked in raising it! I was expecting the first year to be £25 per month and then increase on the anniversary of renewal.

Have I missed a trick here and not been aware that this would happen only a few days (not months) after re-contracting, or have Plusnet not honoured the agreed price and automatically increased the new contract without notification? I've not been in a position to raise this previously due to illness. Will update with date but the PN website isn't working for me right now!!!

11 REPLIES 11
jgb
Champion
Fixes: 22

Re: Account pricing and annual increase on renewal

@BlueEagle365 

The price increases are not on the anniversary of your contract but at defined dates each year.

Customers who have taken out contracts from 7 October 2020, get price increase each year in line with the CPI rate of inflation plus 3.9%. The first Plusnet price rise took effect on or after 1 June 2021, and will then occur on or after 1 March every year from March 2022.

If I recall correctly the relevant CPI rate was 0.7% this year and so the increase was 4.6%

Here is link to the T &Cs:

https://www.plus.net/help/legal/2021-pricing-changes-faq/

Hope this explains things.

BlueEagle365
Grafter

Thanks for the reply.

Also messaged on Twitter and had discussion there as PN website didn't work well for me when posting original comment here.

It just disappointing for me as we agreed a price for renewal, the contract started (11th June I think) and immediately the price went up. I never paid the agreed price. As per Twitter conversation, I appreciate the price rise is mentioned but did not expect the rise to take effect on my contract until March of 2022. The wording "On or after 1st June" does leave it up to you when you apply a rise, this could be absolutely any time a between renewal and March 2022 so quite ambiguous as I see it.

Anyway, I'll just have to get on with it, having been ill at the time I could deal with it then. Service is still good (been with PN for a while now) so no issues there. Will be very careful and aware of this and any dates mentioned at next renewal.

Regards,

Phil

Kremmen
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

This annual price increase by BT and it's subsiduaries has been in the news in the last few days and the annual rise is now reported as being about 9.3%

I will have to weigh up all options come renewal time as my annual bill could easily be more than other providers. Although some other providers I wouldn't touch with a barge pole.

My current future out of contract price is listed as £38.20 but a competitior "Z" is quoting £31.80.

Let's see what happens come June Smiley

Let's be careful out there !
Smith7
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

@Kremmen wrote:

My current future out of contract price is listed as £38.20 but a competitior "Z" is quoting £31.80.

The competitor " Z " also have a Lifetime price guarantee which has been posted on here many times before and are Which Recommended 

Lifetime price guarantee

You'll keep the same monthly price on your monthly bundle when your 12, 18 or 24 month contract ends

Kremmen
Aspiring Pro

Thanks

I do like PN and have been here for many years, I have no service complaints at all but the annual pricing increase is now excessive in my opinion, especially now CPI is rising sharply.

Ands

My offer as a loyal customer is a 25% price increase plus another 9.4% cpi in March. I have been with PN for over 10years. All of my referrals have now left and i'll be doing the same sadly
BlueEagle365
Grafter

Looking at the posts on the forum about this and also across the industry I suspect the next 12 months will see the "churn rate" (customer moving between suppliers) will be very high as people look to cut costs by switching to better "new customer" deals.

Much like the insurance market, loyalty does not pay long term. The key to keeping costs low is to change regularly now home broadband is a mature market. The only growth providers can really show is taking customers from other providers.

Kremmen
Aspiring Pro

My daughter is with PN, my referral, and she has just been able to renew her contract at £23.95 under the January Sale.

She has opted for Fibre Extra because it was only £2 more than her current Fibre renewal would have been.

So come June, if nothing changes, she's paying ~£24 whilst my estimate is ~£39. As much as I'd like to stay, not at ~£39 I'm not.

Talking of which, does anyone know ? :

My estate is on pathetic aluminium phone lines. My package is 40Mbps but with the line loss I actually get ~ 24Mbps. If I opted for a 80Mbps package would I still only get 24Mbps or would the extra push at the exchange increase what I actually get ?

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@Kremmen Fibre Extra will make no difference, it is not power related, it is exactly the same as as the 40 Mbps fibre but with the 40Mbps cap on the sync speed removed. If you are not already syncing at 40Mbps there will be no benefit changing to Extra.☹️

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hiya @Kremmen, thanks for getting in touch. I'm really pleased your daughter has decided to renew with us! With regards to your renewal, closer to the time you will receive a renewal offer from us or can speak with our customer options team within the last 3 months of the contract to arrange a new deal. They are contactable directly on 0800 013 2632.

With regards to your package, as @RealAleMadrid has advised, unless you are reaching the package maximum of 40mb sync, the change to a Fibre Extra wouldn't make a difference. I'm really sorry.

If you have any further queries at all, please do just get back to me.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
Kremmen
Aspiring Pro

Thanks

I just wished she'd opted for the Hub 2 as her Hub One Wifi is sometimes a bit flaky but she hates change.

I did have a look a few weeks ago and the 5G channel auto select had her on channel 36, exactly the same channel as her 2 neighbours either side so I changed her 5G channel to 52 which has zero overlap = the auto select - fail Smiley

So far so good.

Thanks for the speed advice, I just wondered.