cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transferring ownership of phone number

yebaws

Transferring ownership of phone number

Just had a really unhelpful conversation with a totally deadpan Plusnet CS employee. Hopefully can get something a bit more useful here.

I set up a mobile phone account for my daughter when she was younger. It's in my name as that was the only way to do it for a minor.

Now that she is 18, I want to transfer the number to her.

Quite gleefully I was told that this could not be done.

I was told that she could be added to my account with full administrative rights, but that is not what I want to do. I will still after all be the account owner, and liable for any debts on the account.

I would imagine that it would be fairly straightforward for her to set up her own account with Plusnet and then me transfer the number to her, although possibly (by the sounds of things, probably) Plusnet aren't prepared to do this, in which case I will have to transfer first to another company that will. It is of course possible to transfer ownership of phone numbers - people buy and sell them all of the time.

Any experiences or suggestions gratefully received.

2 REPLIES 2
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Re: Transferring ownership of phone number

One way to do it would be to get her to set up a new account with her preferred supplier, once done, get a PAC code from PN and give to the new supplier.

Transferring numbers on the same supplier is often not possible, so don't choose PN.

Be aware that some suppliers will want to do a credit check on a new user, so do your research, or get her to do it when she chooses a new supplier.

yebaws

Re: Transferring ownership of phone number

Thanks.

Had thought of just using PAC codes, but it seemed too simple to work... So there are no checks / no issues with the incoming account being in a different name from the outgoing account?