Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some recipients seeing incorrect number

FIXED
Sool
Dabbler

Some recipients seeing incorrect number

I have just moved to Plusnet and my number was ported across on Wednesday.

Everything seemed to go OK but one of my text recipients is now complaining that instead of seeing my number come up, a different telephone number is appearing. I have since been able to determine that this is number that is associated with the SIM card that Plusnet sent me.

5 REPLIES 5
RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Re: Some recipients seeing incorrect number

I assume you are using an Apple iphone.
This is a common problem with iphones.
Try the fix detailed at:
https://community.idmobile.co.uk/ask-a-question-18/wrong-number-still-showing-in-messages-after-port...
If it does not fix it please advise, it can be more difficult.
Richard

Sool
Dabbler

Thank you for your input Richard.

Unfortunately, my phone is not an iPhone but an Moto G8 with Android 10.

Settings, About Phone, shows my phone number correctly and I cannot recreate the problem with any of my other contacts.

I have restarted my phone a couple of times, with and without the Sim card, and I'm kinda hoping that the glitch has worked its way through and will not reoccur.

Best wishes, Sool

RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Fix
Ah Ok then it will be due to RCS.
Google have introduced a new messaging method (called RCS) in the background of the messages app.
It is only supported by android phones, so android to iphone uses normal SMS (and see the correct number) but Android to Android could be using RCS (and see the wrong number).
There are two possible fixes:
1)Turn Chat features off in the Messages app general settings, this disables RCS and all messages are sent as SMS (even android to android).
2) Try clearing carrier services:
https://support.google.com/messages/thread/13274112/anyone-able-to-get-rcs-working-after-a-number-po...
More details: https://support.google.com/messages/answer/9363493?hl=en
Regards
Richard
Sool
Dabbler

Thank you once again Richard.

For whatever reason, under Settings, Chat features, I see "Chat features unavailable for this device", and when I type a message SMS appears under the send button, which according to Google means that my phone is using SMS.

I have confirmed that my phone number has replaced the temporary number on the Sim card, so I very much doubt that I will experience the problem again.

Interestingly, I noticed that my wife's Moto G6 Sim card still contained her temporary Plusnet number, but after I swapped it into my G8, then back again, this had been overwritten with her own number. This seems to confirm that my G8 has the ability to write to a Sim, whereas the G6 doesn't.

Best wishes, and thanks again, Sool

Sool
Dabbler

Hello again Richard

3 weeks later and this problem returned. However, I am now able to access and enable/disable Chat under message settings, whereas I couldn't before.

I therefore went through the routine of clearing the carrier services cache, and when I re-enabled Chat it told me that I was Connected and that chat features are ready to use for my correct phone number.

Tests suggest that everything is now working as it should.

So, once again thank you for your advice.

Best wishes, Sool