cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sim cards not receiving calls

Katthorpe23

Sim cards not receiving calls

We have three plusnet sim cards in our family. All three are failing to accept calls now. This can be within our home where have good signal and we're sitting next to each other.

One of our children is severely disabled and I was expecting two calls from the hospital today that went straight to voicemail because of this despite me not leaving the house and having full signal 😢
11 REPLIES 11
declanmcguines1
Hooked

Re: Sim cards not receiving calls

Hi there with a disabled child am sure you all 3 are dependent on your mobiles I would be moving over networks as soon as possible due to plusnet mobile shutting down. If your are looking for some deals on the EE network Lyca mobile piggy packs on them if not here is a link to uswitch where you will get the best deals on sim only plans. https://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/compare/sim_only_deals/

My dad was on plusnet and moved him over to O2 and is getting double the data free roaming and a strong 5G signal win win
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 481

Hi @Katthorpe23 

I'm really sorry to hear this has happened and the impact it's having on your family.

I'll drop you a PM shortly so I can look into this for you 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Scouser333

Hi

Myself and my wife are having exactly the same issues….it is sporadically not allowing friends/family calls to connect to my phone. You (Plusnet) have replaced my Sim but the problem still persists.
Yesterday I spent an hour at Apple Genius testing my phone, and it has been determined the phone has no fault at all.
Please help…people think I am dodging calls deliberately.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 481

Hi @Scouser333 

I'm sorry to hear this is happening.

I'll send you a PM shortly so I can look into this for you

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Scouser333

Hi Matthew

I have just replied to your PM via email, but received an undeliverable message back.

How do we move this forward?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 421

I have just replied to your PM via email,

@Scouser333 you cant reply via email. You need to use the Private messages function of the forum. Click the 'Private messages' button at the bottom of the page,  select the message form the list and you can then reply to it directly.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Scouser333

Thank you….first time using such a forum
Katthorpe23

This is the same problem we're having (we have three plusnet sim).

We understand there plusnet mobile is closing down but it hasn't closed down yet. We're paying for a service we are now not receiving. It is definitely a network issue not a handset issue as we have the same problem with all three phones.

We obviously are being forced to switch over but I object to being charged for a lack of service.
Scouser333

I have received the following message back from Plusnet. I’m not sure what this exactly means? Is the iPhone 14 not capable any longer of actually taking calls in a traditional manner, as it’s name would suggest? I’m not moving to EE whatever the outcome.

Plusnet response - I've had a look and don't see anything wrong locally albeit some masts don't have 3G anymore. The trouble with the 3G switch off is that calls will need to use 2G but this isn't possible at the same time as your phone is using 4G which is quite often. How the phone switched from 4G to 3G to 2G is regulated by the phone so I'd expect there to be issues with calls going to go to voicemail when on 4G and calls not going through at all if there are no nearby 2G masts. The best option is to move to EE who use WIFI calling and 4G calling and will avoid all of these issues
James30
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 26

@Scouser333  - I welcome the chat about it as the 3G switch off is new. This isn't about your phone just to be clear. Let me explain.

There are 4 technologies below;

2G - This is used for SMS and Calls.

3G - This is used also for SMS and calls and is being turned off by EE, this can be used at the same time as 4G.

4G - This is used only for the phone's data connection.

5G - We don't support it.

That means when you look at your phone you will see only the 4G signal which is completely irrelevant to the signal that is used for phone calls (3G and 2G)

Now days, your phone supports something called VoLTE and allows the calls to be converted to an ordinary internet connection so they will go through the 4G signal that you see on your phone.

Plusnet doesn't support this. When there is no 3G signal available at your local mast (because it's been turned off), you are left using 2G for calls and as said before can't be used at the same time as your phone is using 4G. That means if you are watching a YouTube video or listening to Spotify using the 4G connection, calls can't received.

Perhaps others could spread some light on what the phones will do in this scenario because the way I see it is that calls will just go to Voicemail.

James - Plusnet Sheffield
Plusnet Help Team
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 421

Ok, so Plusnet do not support VoLTE,  which allows calls using 4g, so if you get a call when the phone is connected on 4g, the phone has to disconnect and connect to 3g or 2g to accept the call. Now that 3g is being turned off, the phone must revert to 2g. 

If the iPhone is not capable of reverting To 2g  , and I don't know whether it is, then calls will go to voicemail.

Other networks support VoLTE and so the phone can remain connected to 4g whilst accepting the call.

Edit @James30 as I understand it, a phone should revert to 2g in these circumstances but there seems to be some anecdotal evidence that the facility to revert to 2g is disabled in later phones ( except for making emergency calls )

Even if the phone can revert, it may take too long to reconnect to 2g and so the call will go to voicemail anyway

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.