Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM not working in Europe

FIXED
RussellC9
Hooked
Fixes: 1

SIM not working in Europe

I am travelling with my son to a University placement in Sweden. We have travelled through Belgium and Germany and he cannot make or receive calls or use data. Data Roaming is on and the phone has been restarted a number of times. The phone shows as connected to a local provider (O2-de at the moment), but if I call his number it cuts-off without connecting. We need to sort as he is in Sweden for 5 months and needs his phone working.
9 REPLIES 9
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 411

Re: SIM not working in Europe

@RussellC9 The phone shows as connected to a local provider (O2-de at the moment), but if I call his number it cuts-off without connecting.

O2-de have already switched off their 3g network. Since Plusnet mobile do not support 4g calling (Volte) you may have to manually switch the phone to 2g to enable calls (obviously that will disable data).

We need to sort as he is in Sweden for 5 months and needs his phone working. 

BTW are you not aware that Plusnet are discontinuing their mobile service, you will have received an email about it. It is likely to happen within that period.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

RussellC9
Hooked

I gave O2-de as an example, but the same was happening yesterday on Orange and another provider I cannot remember the name of. I should add that he does not have data either.

I was aware that we will need to switch him to EE, but thanks for the reminder.
RussellC9
Hooked

Oh and just to add, his iPhone only let's him select 4G or 5G
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 411

Oh and just to add, his iPhone only let's him select 4G or 5G 

Youre going to struggle in Europe then as most networks have turned off 3g, and with PN not supporting volte.

I should add that he does not have data either. 

That sounds like a more basic roaming problem, you'll need a staff member to look into that.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

RussellC9
Hooked

Thanks - we plan to give Plusnet a call when we arrive in Sweden, so hopefully they can assist.
willcutforth
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 99

Hey there @RussellC9 did you manage to get this sorted? If not, PM me your mobile number and I will see Smiley

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Will Cutforth
 Plusnet Help Team
RussellC9
Hooked

Fix
Well - all now sorted after a conversation with Plusnet. It appears that roaming had been turned off at account level. This seems strange as he used his phone in Spain in April and we have certainly not requested this be turned off since. A few hours after roaming was re- enabled his SIM has now started to work. 🙂
DJM1050
Hooked

I am having exactly the same issue.
DJM1050
Hooked

But with no connection it’s impossible to contact PN