Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proof of usage for insurance claim

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Proof of usage for insurance claim

(Grr I am on my mobile, not my Mac and Lithium is more of a pain on a mobile). So couldn't format this properly, but as said:

"I would assume that the imei is logged by the network at least every time the phone is turned on and registers".

That is correct from what I know. When you switch your phone on it will find your network, the network will make the SIM do a Ki number challenge. Ki is an internal ID only the SIM and the network will know. It will send a challenge and it passes, it knows the Ki is correct. That is to stop SIM cloning.

The network also logs what local masts that are you connected to, so if you move around the country or go abroad then they will know about it too.

I have heard of the police using it in serious cases (e.g. someone goes missing) so they can tell whereabouts the phone was last active.

Sorry back on topic, but I suspect the OP needs to highlight on their on-line bill which calls were made from their old phone and what was from their new IMEI is and PlusNet can confirm that it was logged in and that was the one being used, and the old IMEI beforehand. They be able to link the IMSI (SIM/Account ID) to the IMEI (Device serial number).

I don't know if is know how easy it is to as I don't know their back end systems.

Sorry for rambling a bit and I hope you get it sorted.
Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Hey @conmcm,

I've just replied. apologies for the delay!

Thanks.

DeliriousHenri
Hooked

When my phone was lost, I called O2 and they provided the POU (Proof Of Usage) directly to my email address after it going lost. They barred the phone from any use and added the IMEI to the blacklist.

This is how it looked like back in 2017 when I claimed.

I submitted their POU to my bank's insurance and they accepted it straight away.

This was a handset cashback deal, so the sim contract came from O2 and the handset came from the third party cashback distributor.

In case you are wondering what it looks like on O2, I have edited out my details with fake ones:

POU.png

"This isn't a query we've had before, but I'm sure we can provide something that confirms your ownership and use of your IMEI with the Plusnet SIM."

Hmm 😯, you must be very lucky to have nobody reporting their phone lost requiring this Proof Of Usage which insurers need. Maybe you can have a look at my POU and create a similar table showing the date of blacklist, IMEI, last seen etc. (not sure if you can get this as an MVNO but something must be possible).

Hope this helps 🙂

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

It sounds like a good plan is to make a call to customer services and just go through the automated options a bit. Make a note of when you called and it should all be on their system with your IMEI and IMSI.

I am sure PlusNet and other networks have to do call lookups for the police when a crime might be involved and they can track what SIM account was used (IMSI) and the IMEI of the handset, plus the local mast which was being used. Though as Ted would say (on behalf of PlusNet) "I don't like to talk about that sir!".

In Australia for example to buy a PAYG SIM it has to be registered. When I went there as a tourist, so I had no Australian address they accepted mine as they took my passport number there.

I can only see it a matter of time before they being it in here, also you'd need a driving license, utility bill to get one.