cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting disaster

Jomary
Hooked

Porting disaster

Two and a half weeks ago I asked for my number to be ported from EE. It has been a total shambles. I call the 500 number to say that my number has only mobile phone and text, but no mobile data. I get told its the VPN settings on my iPhone 6. I go through all the procedures remove sim ,switch to airplane mode, delete vpn nothing works. Then get told to send 3 times I have tried to connect to the mobile date at 2 hour intervals. NOTHING HAPPENS. I call back after 3 days to be told its my vpn settings and we go through the same procedures again. I have tried PLUSNET sim in iPhone 6, iPhone 5, iphone 5s and Blackberry Z10 all with the same result, PDP authentication required cannot connect to internet. They have also sent 3 replacement sims. Amazingly any other sim card works perfectly in my phone O2, Three, Virgin.  I am beginning to question the competence of Plusnet to operate a mobile network. I am desperate to keep my number so I am worried about moving elsewhere in case my number won't port across. The staff on the helpdesk are extremely pleasant and try to be helpful but this is not solving the problem. I have had about an hour on the phone to Apple who confirm the problem is not with my iPhone. The whole  thing just keep going around in circles. Any advice would be helpful as plusnet seem to have lost the plot AND MY NUMBER

15 REPLIES 15
Jomary
Hooked

Re: Porting disaster

Just to give you people an update. I have purchased a brand new sim free iPhone SE from John Lewis and guess what, I still have no mobile  data. And still no solution from Plusnet. Any advice would be appreciated.   

Jomary
Hooked

Another update for you. I was told on Friday morning that due to the problems I have encountered a manager would call 24 to 48 hours later. We are soon to get to 72 hours and nothing. I think they have nerve to boast of customers service with a debacle like this. Well it's on to Facebook and YouTube now to inform the world that it's buyer beware
RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 31

Hi Jomary!

Thanks for getting in touch with us!

I'm really sorry to hear about the issues you're experiencing with your mobile data, this is certainly not our usual high standard of service that we provide and we'll work hard to put this right for you!

If possible, can you please try resetting your network settings. You can do this by:

• Settings
  • General
  • Reset
  • Reset network settings

Also, if you have any previous profiles stored on your handset, can please delete these. You can do this by:

• Settings
  • General
  • Delete/remove

- Rebeka 

JamesAdd
Hooked

I have exactly the same issue and I am currently in a 5 day holding pattern as my problem is referred to 'operations'.

But to summarise the issue:

• iPhone 6, previous carrier EE
  • Prior to porting over my number from EE I could access data (using the default Plusnet number supplied with the SIM)
  • Ported over my number from EE last Monday - no data, not even a single byte. Have tried to connect in multiple locations, same issue
  • Have deleted profiles, restarted phone, removed and replaced SIM, switched on and off airplane mode and reset network settings about fifty times in as many combinations as I could, same issue
  • Cannot access APN settings (assume that that they have been locked by previous carrier EE)
  • have been told by CS to take the phone to an Apple Store (not practical, I don't have time to go to Brent Cross / Regent Street / Stratford to stand in a queue for hours just to be told that the APN settings have been locked by EE)
  • Using a SIM from another provider in my phone (ASDA who also use the EE network) no problems, access to data without faffing around with APN settings, it just works

To be fair to CS they are very helpful, but reading the forums here this isn't an isolated problem (search 'no data') so I would expect that they would have the solution close to hand however each time I call I have to go through the whole story over and over again.

So here I am counting down the 5 days until I get the call back from operations. If it's not sorted by the end of this week then I'm walking, I'm a patient guy but my patience is running out, it's only the fact that I have public wifi access at work that I haven't walked already.

Jomary
Hooked

I've done the five day wait TWICE and they don't call you. When you call them they go through the whole process again. I've been two and a half weeks in this frustrating mess. My concern is if I move to another provider number won't port across and I will lose my number which very important to me. I think they know they have a porting issue and are playing for time to try and rectify it
RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Jomary!

I'm really sorry to hear about this! If you've been advised that your port is currently delayed, this will more than likely be the reason as to why your Data isn't working. 

Rest assured, our Team will be working to resolve this for you as soon as possible.

- Rebeka 

Jomary
Hooked

I haven't been advised my porting is delayed. I've been phoning and using texts. Just data not working. I would suggest you read my first post
Jomary
Hooked

Apple have said with the iPhone 6 it automatically asks to update carrier settings. I have tried other peoples sims and even the one from Virgin ( which is now on EE) and that even asks to update carrier settings
BenH

Rebekah,

I'm having the exact same issue as Jomary and JamesAdd.

My story:

• iPhone 6 running iOS 10.3.2 (latest version)
  • Was with EE for over 10 years
  • Decided to move to Plusnet for a cheaper deal
  • Original SIM worked fine, voice & data coverage and speed the same as EE
  • Asked Plusnet to port across my old EE number
  • Disaster!

Since porting my number across, I've had no 4G signal at all only 3G, but even then I can't access any data or connect to the internet, I get the same PDP authentication error on an iPhone 6.

Apparently this is linked to APN setting which can;t be changed by the customer on an iPhone on the EE network, as EE restart this according to a post I found on the EE website.

The only resolution I've been offered so far by Plusnet is to try the following:

• Turn phone off and back on
  • Take SIM out and put back in
  • Reset network settings (tried and didn't work)
  • Delete any existing profiles (I don't have any)
  • Speak to an Apple Genius!

So far, your Customer Services have been looking into this for the past 2 weeks but without success, and after a frustrating 45 min long phone call this morning, I was told that there is no-one at Plusnet with any technical knowledge on the iOS devices to be able to offer more of a solution than you have done already, i.e. none..

Browsing the EE website, I found a similar thread where the EE moderator had suggested that if after trying all of these similar fixes without success, they could do a reset from their end. Why can't Plusnet do this???

I remember a time when you used to get a text from your network provider with new carrier settings. This may be showing my age, but why can;t you do the equivalent to re-boot my SIM?

I have no data connection which is a major inconvenience, and currently don't have any response from Plusnet as to how to resolve this.

The issue was caused by Plusnet porting across my old EE number, prior to this it worked fine.

I am annoyed with myself for cancelling with EE as I was offered a similar deals for only £1 / month more, and I'm starting to this that Plusnet, whilst a pleasant group of people, don't have any more knowledge of mobile phones and network issues than me, which isn't much.

Please can you look into this and sort this out for me and the other frustrated customers!!!

RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Jomary!

My apologies, I assumed you had a porting delay when you stated you were worried your number would not port across. 

If you could send me a Private Message with your details, I'll certainly take a look into this further for you. 

- Rebeka 

RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi BenH!

Thanks for getting in touch with us!

I'm really sorry to hear about this, if you could send me a Private Message with your details, I can take a further look into this for you. - Rebeka 

Rob68

Hi. You have my sympathy! I'm in a similar position having recently joined plusnet mobile and not been able to access mobile data. I'm awaiting a call back that is two days overdue and can't face the half hour plus queueing to talk to someone then getting no help to resolve the problem. Customer service? I think not!
BenH

Well, if it gives any of you a slight glimmer of hope, my 4G signal re-appeared as if by magic at random today and I have been able to access my data service from 3G and 4G single for the rest of today. Hooray!!! Shocked I'd like to think that it was because of this post that Plusnet have resolved this, but I've just checked my emails and can see that I was sent a message at lunchtime today from Customer Services suggesting the same things I'd already tried, despite telling two or three other Customer Services wallers that their technical advice didn't work.Crazy3

The only thing I did do last night as a last ditched attempt was to reset all settings on my iPhone 6, by accessing Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings. Whether this made any difference or not I'm not sure.

I did this last night and immediately after it hadn't worked, but like I say, it started working this afternoon as if by magic....

I don't think there's much magic involved, but it might be worth a try if any of you are still struggling!

Fingers crossed for you all.

Jomary
Hooked

Hi Ben

Did you reset all settings as I was told to reset to reset network settings. Glad it worked out for you, John