cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Number port from Plusnet to Lebara: A problem of just slow?

danny_
Hooked

Number port from Plusnet to Lebara: A problem of just slow?

On Wednesday 19th my mobile phone number with Plusnet was due to port to a new account/sim with Lebara.

Early on Wednesday I had an email from Lebara saying the port was complete. However:

- I can make calls and send text messages from the ported number using the Lebara sim

- Calls and text messages TO the ported number still 'go to' the Plusnet sim

On the phone, Plusnet said they can't look at it, only Lebara can instigate investigations. (Which is fair enough).

Lebara have said to give it another 24 hours as sometimes it can take a more time for everything to 'move'.

I'm hoping someone with experience can answer my question:

- Is the situation I've described likely to rectify itself with a bit more time?

- Will active action be needed to rectify and allow my new sim to receive calls and texts to the ported number?

If time alone might sort it, I'm happy to wait a little longer. But if it really won't, I'd rather ask for some intervention sooner rather than later.

14 REPLIES 14
Smith7
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Number port from Plusnet to Lebara: A problem of just slow?

Welcome to the Forum

There have been posts on here about this before

It's not just PN who do the port

Part of the port is done by who ever issued the original number so can take longer

I also changed from PN to Lebara  all done online with no problem I didn't speak to anyone at PN or Lebara

My number was issued by EE so that may have helped

Hope everything goes through for you  

danny_
Hooked

Thanks.

My frustration comes mostly from the 'moving target' element: an email saying it was complete (but not all working); an online chat with someone saying it might take up to midnight on the day of the port; and person on the phone saying it can take up to midnight on the day after the port.

I've been trying to find some clear information online - and mostly failed! But have read lots about 'split ports' and the need for the companies involves to actively correct things (or resend files). As I mentioned in my first post: if a bit of time will see it resolved itself, fine. But I'm doubtful (partly, perhaps, due a history of people in call-centres often unconvincingly 'fobbing-off').

It also just seems odd that everything still works with the Plusnet sim despite Lebara sending the email saying the port is complete.

I *think* (but really can't remember) that the number was originally issued by Vodafone. I suspect, then, that Lebara/Vodafone and Plusnet are all involved.

I'll keep my fingers crossed and try to be patient. 

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

"someone saying it might take up to midnight on the day of the port; and person on the phone saying it can take up to midnight on the day after the port" 

The problem with saying it like that can be open to interpretation.  Technically midnight is at the start of the day ie 00:00.  Being a little lax with your wording they could be meaning the same thing in the above.

A little annoying for a number of us is one of Plusnets communications is when a broadband migration can take till.  For example someone's migration in might be happening on 20th April, but Plusnet will email out saying that it can take up till midnight on 21st April.  What they are meaning is that it would be up until the very end of the 20th April.  Sometimes people read it as till the end of 21st April.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

danny_
Hooked

Fair point. For the avoidance of doubt:

An email said it was complete (at around 6am on the day of the transfer - Wednesday).

On Wednesday, person A said it would complete in up to 24 hours (from the day of the transfer).

On Thursday, person B said it would complete in up to 48 hours (from the day of the transfer).

Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 11

@Smith7 wrote: "Part of the port is done by who ever issued the original number so can take longer"

Just out of interest, because I am contemplating making the same Plusnet Mobile to Lebara switch soon, who today would be the original issuer of my number?

My number dates from when I used to work at BT, I had a company mobile and kept the number when I retired.

My number's prefix is 07710, and was originally on (BT) Cellnet (issued as 0410 prior to the prefix changes) when I first had it in the mid 1990's and before BT sold Cellnet off to become O2.

So who is the issuer of my original number who will have to do this work?

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

My original guess would have been O2, and a quick google confirms that: https://www.ukphoneinfo.com/07710-numbers

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

The problems that sonetimes occur with porting are due to the fact that the UK does not have a centralised system for call routing, unlike most other countries. Ofcom tried to get it setup years ago but the mobile companies objected. So the system is that, all incoming calls initially go to the original issuing network, who then routes the call to the network on which the phone number is currently registered.

So when you port, the old network, the new network and the originating network all have to change their systems! Crazy. If one of them doesn't get the changes correct, then you get the situation the OP is in, a 'split port' where some things work correctly and others don't. Then everyone has to try and work out what's wrong !

danny_
Hooked

Thanks for that information - it's interesting to understand more.

I've just noticed that it seems calls to the new sim do not work from the EE network, but do work from at least some others; I just had an automated call from a bank (providing a security code) which routed to my new Lebara sim, whereas calls from my work EE phone are all routed to the Plusnet sim still. A text message from the same bank though didn't arrive on my Lebara sim. I haven't swapped back to the Plusnet one to look for it there but assume it will be there.

In a situation like mine - perhaps a 'split port' - with some things working and some not, is it likely that people will know it hasn't fully worked and be working to fix it without the need to be explicitly chased/asked to look into a problem?

i.e. Is it sort of right for a call-centre person to say 'give it time it will sort itself out', or do I need to press for them to press someone technical to look more deeply?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

I've just noticed that it seems calls to the new sim do not work from the EE network, but do work from at least some others; I just had an automated call from a bank (providing a security code) which routed to my new Lebara sim, whereas calls from my work EE phone are all routed to the Plusnet sim still. A text message from the same bank though didn't arrive on my Lebara sim. I haven't swapped back to the Plusnet one to look for it there but assume it will be there.

That sounds like O2 and Lebara have got their routing changed but EE still thinks the number is on their network. So any calls from their network will go to the old sim.

is it likely that people will know it hasn't fully worked and be working to fix it without the need to be explicitly chased/asked to look into a problem?

it MIGHT sort itself out, but TBH I'd get on to Lebara and make sure the 'split port' is logged and they are investigating.

danny_
Hooked

Thanks.

Lebara keen to stress that they want to allow 48 hours from the start before escalating which is a pain, but perhaps understandable. They seem quick to get hold of and easy to speak with and so that's not the end of the world. It will be a shame it the weekend ends up dragging it out until next week - but really not the end of the world.

It seems that text messages are all still going to the Plusnet sim.  And iMessage and FaceTime on my phone aren't activating at the moment. I suspect that will all kick back into action (or will work when I try it again) once everything to do with the port is complete.

It is all a bit frustrating and not as seamless as one might be led to believe (although perhaps is more often than not). I'm the guinea pig for my family of 4… I've lost some of my enthusiasm to switch us all now!

flanzm
Pro
Fixes: 15

I had two Plusnet to Lebara ports end up like this about 2 years ago. It's a well known problem - you will need to keep on at Lebara. If you get nowhere email the customer services director John-Paul.Patten@lebara.com he sorted mine out in the end - took about a week though.
danny_
Hooked

I hope it won't come to that (by fear it will!) - thanks very much for the info.

danny_
Hooked

Here's an update and summary (in case anyone, potentially in future, is interested):

- Lebara text message received on Wed 19 saying the port was complete

- I had a data service using the Lebara sim and could make calls and send text messages

- I don't think I could receive calls or text messages (although it's possible the problem was only with calls & texts from the EE network), and I couldn't re-enable iMessages or FaceTime to use my number on my iPhone.

- Lebara wouldn't raise it as an issue to investigate until 2 days had past. A problem was raised on Friday late afternoon

- I turned the phone off and on again and on Monday 24 it all calls and messages seems to work fine (including from EE)

- On Tuesday 25 I followed the instructions here (https://www.giffgaff.com/help/articles/imessage-isnt-working-after-i-transferred-my-number) having previously tried lots of other suggestions included those given by Apple by phone). Perhaps it just coincided with Lebara/Plusnet completing all aspects of the port, or perhaps it helped: either way, after doing this, everything was resolved.

- It wasn't until Thursday 27 that Lebara got back in touch (by phone) to say that everything should be okay. I agreed that it was and made arrangements with them for compensation (a refund of my first month's charge)

If doing it again (as I probably will for my children's phones) I would probably:

- leave the Plusnet sim in until it stopped working

- and, if a 2 days had passed without the Plusnet sim stopping working I would then raise a case with Lebara (they refer to this as a complaint) asking for them to investigate a 'Split Port' (which they would pass to Vodafone)

Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

I had the same experience about a week ago with a transfer from EE to Lebara. I received a text early in morning saying the port was complete. The number had transferred across to the Lebara SIM and I could make calls from the Lebara account. However,  calls to the phone were directed to the EE answerphone service. Switched off the phone to reboot it later in the afternoon by which time it had sorted itself out.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'